Ran out of elevation

JAWZ

I was dialing in my 3-9x40 leo when i found that i had only 4moa of elevation left on the scope is there an way i can get around this so as to gain more elevation moa on this scope.

JAWZ:)

Or burris signature rings w/the plastic inserts. They can easily get you 20 MOA.

They were the first ring setup that I could get to hold solidly on a braked 338 RUM.

If it is a one piece base you can shim the rear with little pieces of beer can or coke can. If you are a timid soul and afraid of your wife and don't dare use the kitchen sheers to cut aluminum cans, then you can order shims from Brownell's (if they ship to you Roo shooters).

Depending on your setup you can get shims directly from Leupold free of charge upon request. Just shimmed a Pre 64 Mdl 70 with a VXIII 3.5-10 w/ 2 piece bases.

Depending on reciever thickness and other things you can probably get 20 MOA of shim in without a problem. There comes a point that you will need longer screws if you go to high. Then if you get screws that are too long they protrude and hit the bolt. When I went to get longer screws my local gunshop just poured out two jars of screws on the counter and told me to take the ones I needed.

Be careful not to strip a partially engaged screw.

Once you get everything set the way you want it you can glass bed the base.

About 5 or 6 layers of aluminum can will give you what you need.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.