WINDAGE Adjustment changing

LongRangeBangin

So, I opted to put a 20 moa base on a Remington 308, topped with a 4.5X14 Leupold scope.
I centered my windage adjustment and elevation adjustments to center. Did a quick bore site which told me I was going to be very close in the windage department, but extremely high in elevation. So off to the range.
First shot proved to be close to center in the windage department but very very high on elevation. Got it all dialed in, and am about 7 MOA of the bottom to be zeroed at 100 yards.
For giggles I then played with the windage knob, and realize that when bottomed at 100, I have less windage adjustment going one way as compared to the other. The higher I climb in my MOA adjustment, the more I gain in the adjustment on the short Windage adjustment side.
1. Is this normal?
2. If it is or isn't normal, what sort of problems will/can I incure as I extend the target range distant?

1. Normal.
2. No problems at longer range, as long as you hold for wind. If you dial for wind, you're probably OK as we'll. Windage adjustment will probably increase at long range, where it's needed.

What's the total elevation adjustment of your scope?

Thanks for the Reply Bruce. I think I am about 6-8 MOA off the bottom, and have about 58-59 MOA to the top. I can feel I am getting close both directions and stop short. Again thanks for the reply!

An added benefit to choosing the right scope base slant is that if all comes together well, you won't be able to dial one rev below your 100 yard zero. Sounds like you've got that going for you now. :)

My friend just mounted a Mk4 on his 338LM, on a 40 MOA Ken Farrel base... he's 1 MOA from bottom on his 100 yard zero. And the scope holds that zero, and works great at that extreme... :)

Did you check the fit using a feeler gauge? Loosen all the base screws. Press down over the front mounting screws poke around between the front mounting surfaces using a 0.0015" feeler gauge. Then repeat, this time pressing between the rear screws and poking around with the gauge. If the feeler gauge can fit anywhere underneath base, the base should be bedded.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.