Ram Shot Magnum Powder in a 338Win Mag - Product Review

royinidaho

Been shooting RL-22 and Sierra 2600s (250 gr) and WC 252s and getting 1/4 MOA 3 shot groups @ 200 yds.

SDs of that load are not very good. When shooting at full size steel yote @ beyond 600yds (740yds) the difference in drop between hi and lo velocities are more that enough to miss. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

General observations w/Ramshot Magnum & 338 Win.

First Ramshot's web site is great. First posting of Standard Deviation that I've seen. Practical experience confirms Ramshots SDs. The higher the pressure the lower the SD./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2nd Magnum is a bit slow for the 338 Win and 250 gr bullets. Ramshot lists the burn rate similar to H-1000 but because of the powder density a bunch can be stuffed into the case. I ended a 4.5gr over their upper load listing w/o any pressure problems. I'm thinking that a 275gr bullet would perform nicely "if" the throat was at least 0.10 longer.

3rd - Magnum will attain the same velocities as RL-22.

4th - compared to RL-22 Magnum must have a completely different pressure curve. With RL-22 and 2800+ MV camming action of the bolt has to be used to initiate extraction. This is marginally ok by me for varmints/predators but not good for a deer/elk/moose.

The affect of Magnum was that with the same velocity as RL-22 extraction was as one would expect from factory rounds. No resistance at all. When neck sized and reloaded cases chamber much more nicely also. I don't understand the whys and wherefores but it seems to be a good thing.

5th - Shots were stringing vertically and perportional to velocity. 1/4 MOA wide and 1.5 MOA vertically @ 200. Me thinks shoulder pressure and cheek weld but will have to do more testing. Ran out of bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ran 3 SMKs through which resulted in a 1.3 MOA triangle which is typical for them in this rifle.

Here's the sad part. At the stroke of midnight I launched an SMK ahead of 84gr of the Ramshot Magnum. I wanted to see what the Holland brake did to the muzzle flash. Well guess what, there was NONE and I didn't blink /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Who wudda thunk it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My overall conclusion is that Ramshot Magnum may well work out. There are more pluses going for it than negatives. One plus is that the RCBS Chargmaster loves it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.