h1000 for a 338win mag

bearrug

Has anyone used h1000 powder in a 338 win mag, the reason i ask is i had to sell my 7mm rem mag, and now i have 3lbs of this powder i have always used imr 4350 in the 338 tried searching around but couldn't find much info so if anybody has any loads for this i would appreciated Thanks

To slow for the 338 win mag. You can't get enough powder in the case. It will shoot but your velocities will be slower than what you got out of the 4350. You could probably just dip the case in a bucket of powder and level it off, crunch it down with the bullet, and see what you get.

Hodgdons does list a load for the 250 grain bullet in 338 win mag. But if you look closer it is a compressed load well below what I consider top velocity for that bullet. Like I said it will work by just filling up the case and crunching a bullet down but you can get near 2800 fps with a faster burning powder that doesn't fill the case before reaching max potential. You just can't get enough H-1000 in there to get top velocity.

Yeah i checked out the hodgdon website and saw it was a compressed load with the 250 gr bullet , maybe i could find somebody in the area that would trade me for some imr 4350 , or better buy another 7mm rem mag, heck i can justify that just have to convince the wife

If you want your 338 to really shine, swap that powder with someone for RE19, no other powder comes close to it in the 338!
I've tried every powder there is suitable for the 338 and none of them get the velocities that are obtainable with RE19.
200gr BT's @ 3100fps.
225gr AB's @ 2890fps.
250gr PT's @ 2780fps.
All in my 26" barreled Win Mod 70.

Thanks for the info looks like re19 is a powder i will try, hopefully my rifle will like it too from your chart there it looks like those bullets are going at a niece clip

Reloader 19 for a 338win mag

I have used some good powders for the 338 Win but the best has been

Reloader 19 with 225gr bullets AB

and

Reloader 22 with 250gr Bullets AB

gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.