Question for Fiftydriver

JKO

Kirby:

What sort of carrying case (either soft or hard) do you use for the .338 AM?

My .30 Cody Express is quite a handful--58" long, 12" deep, 8.5" wide--and I was wondering if you might be able to provide some suggestions.

Thanks.
--JKO

Ballistic64:

Thanks.

I already talked with both manufacturers.

I'll probably go with the ICC brand case; I'm just evaluating possible options before I make a decision.

--JKO

Ace Case 50BMG for a soft case

Work in progress- designed to hold "Brown's Big Gun".

407883.JPG

407885.JPG

407887.JPG

JKO,

I would have look to get you the brand name, its out in the shop right now. I can tell you its the case that Armalite sells for their AR-50 50 BMG rifle. 62" length. It would be plenty large for your rifle and not overly spendy either. I think they are around $150 and are aluminum bodied.

Very nice cases for the money.

Strong enough to pack around a 60 lb rifle in as well so the handle will take 80 lbs easy enough.

Let me check on the maker of the case and I will get back to you.

Kirby Allen(50)

buffalobob:

I have one of those, thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That's part of the problem; I'm not particularly large or strong (5' 7" and 180, and I'm not muscular), and manhandling that rifle (all 58" and 40 pounds of it) isn't easy, especially when it comes to negotiating corners inside a building.

Let's face it, the bloody thing's almost as tall as I am when the recoil pad is on the floor, and it's almost as wide.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

--JKO

If any of you guys want a custom soft case, any dimention, there is a guy that is not to far from me that makes them, all out of a very heavy duty cordura or similar. I will try and find his contact info and post it here. I dont think he has a website. I will be ordering a case for my 338 snipe-tac soon. He does embroydery work as well if you want your guns name on the case or whatever. LOts of colors! heavy padded! Scabards for horseback.

JKO,

The case I have is a Vanguard 62" Guardforce 50 BMG travel case w/wheels.

Manufacturer number is GDS9290CW.

Portable Long Gun Safe GDS-9290CW Outside: 63 x 13 1/2 x 6 3/4
Inside: 62 1/8 x 12 5/8 x 6
Weight: 26.89 lbs

This case comes with four internal tie down straps to securely hold heavy rifles in the center of the case. THe straps may cause some wear on some barrel finishes so it is wise to put an old sock(CLEAN) between the rifles and the straps to pretect the finish on the steel and stocks with the heavy weight of the rifles.

These are not water proof but they are have two combination locks and are quite sturdy. For the money hard to beat.

You can go to http://www.vanguardusa.com/gds9200.htm to read more on them.

Kirby Allen(50)

JKO

I call this a McDonald's box. It is not for shipping guns around but when you are driving far enough from home that you might need to stop at McDonalds then you would use this box to keep greasy french fries and mustard off of your soft case. A one inch layer of closed cell foam will be glued into the box and then the gun inside the soft case will be put in it.

Yeah, the things can get heavy and cumbersome. Remember when we were younger and not much smarter there was these devices for removing skin from your knees, elbows and nose. We called them skate boards. The wheel assemblies are still available and easy to work with.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.