Question for .338 Edge shooters

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
As some of you may know, I've been dabbling in the precision ammunition supply business. So far I just have a couple .308 Winchester rounds, but am looking to develop new cartridges. I'm considering the .338 Edge.

Question: If high quality .338 Edge pre-assembled ammunition were available, how do you think it would be accepted by the LR Hunting crowd? I realize there are many who enjoy handloading and would never consider pre-assembled ammo. But how many hunters do you think would rather not deal with handloading?

The load I'm considering is a nominal (safe) charge of H1000 with the Berger Hybrid seated to mag length. It would be optimized for performance in some of Shawn's and Len's .338 Edge custom rifles. All of my ammunition uses weighed powder charges, not metered like most factory ammo. Price would be on the order of $3.40/round (note average cost of good .338 Lapua Mag ammo is typically over $5/round)

I'm pretty confident that I could provide ammunition with low velocity spread (SD under 10 fps is my standard) and with a bullet that's not sensitive to jump, there would be little room for improvement. The only question is; how many people would be interested?

-Bryan

I may not be a 338. Edge shooter but I firmly believe it is a great idea. I know many people that have odd cartridge or would love to own one but won't due to reloading such as my brother. He wants a 243. AI but doesnt want to take the time to fire form and reload.

Several shooters who have seen or shot my 338 edge want one then ask about where I get my ammo and how much. When I tell them it is strictly reload only they suddenly don't want an edge anymore. But they also don't want to pay the high price for Lapua.

I wouldn't bother trying to commercialize that round. The edge is a strictly custom build and there are too many miniscule differences in chambers and coal's to have a standard sized round. I'm sure it would work, in theory, but with a severe lack of performance. For instance, in mine to get a certain fps, I have to load to x amount of pressure versus a maximum coal. This bullet will not fit safely into my friends gun. Another thing to consider is that a .338 RUM is pretty close in performance to the edge. The only difference in the two is that an edge is a .300 RUM sized up to .338. the case capacity is roughly 5% more. You get roughly 150-200 fps more if you like. But like I said. I think that with the .338 RUM being so close in comparison, it wouldn't be worth the time. JUst my opinion tho.

I have the standard .338 RUM and prefer it. If I had to bet-in a decade the wildcat (Edge) will have replaced it. I see some of the rifle makers providing custom ammo now, and some customers taking advantage of it. So my answer is yes, if you build it they will come.

I like the idea. Maybe you should check in with Shawn for his input. My next gun will be an Edge and I too reload and I to reload for all my rifles. But there are those that don't. Hell, maybe the industry will catch on too?

I think the demand would be very low. Most guys that have 338 edge's reload and have their rounds setup exactly for their rifle most with the bullet seated way out to 3.8 - 4.0 It's a round that is very specific to each shooters rifle.

I think the demand would be very low. Most guys that have 338 edge's reload and have their rounds setup exactly for their rifle most with the bullet seated way out to 3.8 - 4.0 It's a round that is very specific to each shooters rifle.
+1 Each rifle likes little different seating depth . However I would like to see a 300 gr bullet that's not sensitive to jump . My edge likes 3.91. 90 gr of new H-1000 @ 2846 fps -2859 fps with a 300 gr smk. (Old H-1000 was 93 gr for same results) What powder would use?

Last edited:
Hi Brian

how many people would be interested?

Just to give my input. I would not purchase manufactured ammo personally. I shoot several commercially available rounds and I also shoot a 338/300 RUM.
I reload all my ammo and have not purchased manufactured ammo for quite a few years. I enjoy reloading , but I am sure there are some who do not . Just my .02

Brian,
I think it is a great idea as long as it would shoot half MOA at extended
ranges in good conditions like my handloads. I'm not doubting your abilities
to create this ammunition it would just need to be optimized for a certain throat. And as everyone know identical rifles can be sensitive to seating depth. You mentioned it would be optimized for Shawn and Lens rifles which would be fine if everyone's EDGE was set up like Shawn's 3.785" OAL plus .050 jump if I'm not mistaken. I would rather hand load and enjoy it, but if your ammo meets half MOA at long range I would use it. I love hand loading I just don't have much free time and want to be out in the field shooting when I have the opportunity. IF you do put this idea into production I would definately set up my next barrel for this ammunition and give it a try and if it doesn't meet my needs I would just keep to hand loading. As far as the long range hunting community I don't know how many members on here actually shoot EDGE's if you had to put a number on it. Basically I think if people put your ammunition in their rifles and get half moa accuracy and at 3.40 a round which I think is a fair price, you will not have a problem with demand for the ammunition. The only flaw is most everyone custom EDGEs are not all set up identically, which I'm sure you already know. I say go for it. Looking on the other side of the fence you could possibly create a demand for the cartridge. I know many people that would be shooting an EDGE if there were ammunition available and it didn't require hand loading. This is just my opinion, I hope it works out good luck!

Chase

Ammo "bundled" with one of Shawn's or Len's rifle would be the ticket IMHO.

This would assist eliminating conflicts that may arise with the different reamer throat/neck diameters out there for the Edge, assist with nailing down a "safe" standardized seating depth for your ammo, and since those folks habitually have their favorite barrels (bore/land diameters, # of lands, twist rates) to build off of...you'd have a high likely hood of consistency/precision from rifle to rifle.

For all the reasons above...I'd be intimidated of the potential results if it was done any other way.

Good luck, and look forward to seeing you offer this ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts