338 edge savage question

cohunt

anyone that has knowledge of the 338 edge and savage la please help.

I'm intetested in a 338 edge/savage here on the forums, BUT from what I see to optimize the cartridge with the 300 berger you really need a 4.05" oal mag.

I see guys are modifying the 4.05" 338 lap aics mag by removing the ribs so the longer rum/edge shoulder junction will work in the lap mag.....BUT

I have 2 questions

1st will the savage la even work with a 4.05" mag length

2nd, if it will, what stock or chassis that fits the savage la will work with the aics 4.05" mag ?

I see the APO saber-ar chassis supposedly works with 4.05" mags--- but I can't get any more info on it as the web page is under construction ------ any other chassis or stocks that might work?

I asked a similar typ question in the gunsmithing section and was pretty quiet too.

Most of the folks using those long oal mags are using actions that were cut with a long mag cut or have had it modified to fit (not Savage). The issue, is that there is not a lot of Savage aftermarket support for this.

I have had the same frustations. I have a 110, 338 Lapua that I want to lighten up a touch. I have found the easiest way will be to purchase a stock and have it inletted for the blind mag (from an individual because McMillan and Manners no longer support Savage). I will use the single feed sled and just do it that way. Not being able to feed from a mag is a little disappointing, but Savage support is tough.

My BM was actually milled out and the mag cut and welded to allow loading longer than the stock/factory Accurate Mag system.

If you want to use the chassis, I think you may be SOL with the Savage.

Just my expirience.

I asked a similar typ question in the gunsmithing section and was pretty quiet too.

Most of the folks using those long oal mags are using actions that were cut with a long mag cut or have had it modified to fit (not Savage). The issue, is that there is not a lot of Savage aftermarket support for this.

I have had the same frustations. I have a 110, 338 Lapua that I want to lighten up a touch. I have found the easiest way will be to purchase a stock and have it inletted for the blind mag (from an individual because McMillan and Manners no longer support Savage). I will use the single feed sled and just do it that way. Not being able to feed from a mag is a little disappointing, but Savage support is tough.

My BM was actually milled out and the mag cut and welded to allow loading longer than the stock/factory Accurate Mag system.

If you want to use the chassis, I think you may be SOL with the Savage.

Just my expirience.
Thanks-- i guess the first thing I was wondering is will the savage la even accept a mag as long as 4.05, or do you need an aftermarket action?

I had my Rem 700 milled out to accept the 3.85" (because I am an idiot and didn't look for the 4"). You can have it modified, however, no one makes aftermarket Savage parts for that. Best I could figure was the single feed set up with this.

I did have a savage LA 338 edge for a while... Single feed only. That was in my fairly early days, I didn't realize it would have to be that way beforehand. Not sure but you MIGHT be able to open up the bottom of the action. That's a big might... And then as stated you would need baaically modify a stock to take (likely a blind) magazine.

Savage is a cheap way to go, but honestly might be better off going with a dedicated savage 338 Lapua, or a more suitable action, if you need to have it mag fed.