338 Edge OAL question

montana_native

I need to send my gunsmith a 338 Edge dummy round so he can set the barrel up. What should I set the over all length to with a 300 gr SMK before I send it to him?

Thanks for any help.

Steve, mine is 3.775" and that is .010 off the lands and mine has the Wyatt's extended box.

I think those boxes are 3.8" but I'm not positive.

Casey, I'm not really sure what yours could/should be. I would think any length that will still allow you to eject a loaded round and still keep some bullet meat in the neck area. 3.9" rings a bell but I can't be for certain.

My Wyatt's Extended Mag box on a Rem 700 LA is 4". Might want to make sure which one you have. A 3.9"+ OAL will cycle through it just fine. I would think that with the RUM case length and the lenth of the 300SMK, you'll want every fraction of inch you can get in the mag to maximize case capacity. Just my ramblings...

My Wyatt's Extended Mag box on a Rem 700 LA is 4". Might want to make sure which one you have. A 3.9"+ OAL will cycle through it just fine. I would think that with the RUM case length and the lenth of the 300SMK, you'll want every fraction of inch you can get in the mag to maximize case capacity. Just my ramblings...

3.785 OAL

See Shawn C. website. Ther you will find all the info for 338edge, load, powders, bullets, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.