338 edge question

steevo

my local gun store has a Remington 700 ong action that was blue printed and a brand new shilen barrel in 338 edge. barrel has not been touched and is short chambered.

its a pretty good deal money wise, is there any other caliber this barrel could be used for seeing it is still short chambered? or am I better off selling the barrel and buying a new barrel?

I have read up on the edge, but I wish I could buy ammo ready to go. I don't want to build this and have to only reload ammo from the start.

thanks in advance...
steve

my local gun store has a Remington 700 ong action that was blue printed and a brand new shilen barrel in 338 edge. barrel has not been touched and is short chambered.

its a pretty good deal money wise, is there any other caliber this barrel could be used for seeing it is still short chambered? or am I better off selling the barrel and buying a new barrel?

I have read up on the edge, but I wish I could buy ammo ready to go. I don't want to build this and have to only reload ammo from the start.

thanks in advance...
steve

Normally barrels are short chambered only a few thousandths shorter than the finished cartridge
and in many cases only the cartridge that it was short chambered in is the only thing that will work.

If you check the head space you could be sure. If you are not interested in loading for it you would probably be better off just selling it.

The other thing you could do is have a gunsmith set the shoulder back and chamber it in 338 RUM.
(It would clean the chamber up and you could buy ammo for it.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts