Question: Build with used barrel?

I have been contemplating a 7mm-08 build and recently found a used Proof carbon barrel chambered by American Precision Arms in 7mm-08, and threaded for a Bighorn Origin action.

I am aware Proof makes prefit barrels for the Origin action . Should this barrel chambered by APA theoretically function like a prefit barrel with another Origin action? I would of course have a qualified gunsmith install the barrel and check head space for safety.

Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
The big question a few of us are asking is THE WHY and I believe for a very good reason you need to consider.... perhaps HOW is as good of a question to support the WHY. HOW without a large problem existing would you know in only 1 box of ammo that this isn't the barrel or caliber you actually wanted? What would lead a person to buy this caliber and this barrel if they could possibly hate it....in 20 rounds...must be a deeper issue here.... I would be very cautious!

Personally, I would be extremely suspicious of a barrel that had been removed after just 20 rounds. At least, without a reasonable explanation by the owner. Such a low round count shows virtually nothing of a barrels' potential, so the reasoning behind removing it would have to extraordinary! Having been on the losing end of such "deals" too many times in the past I would be unlikely to even consider such a deal at this point of my life. At the least I would have plans in place to replace it with a new barrel if it didn't work out.
Cheers,
crkckr

Personally, I would be extremely suspicious of a barrel that had been removed after just 20 rounds. At least, without a reasonable explanation by the owner. Such a low round count shows virtually nothing of a barrels' potential, so the reasoning behind removing it would have to extraordinary! Having been on the losing end of such "deals" too many times in the past I would be unlikely to even consider such a deal at this point of my life. At the least I would have plans in place to replace it with a new barrel if it didn't work out.
Cheers,
crkckr
I personally have a good used barrel for sale it's a carbon fiber barrel and it shoots excellently it's a 6.5 do you ready for the reason I took it off and bought another barrel is after about 100 your browns I was not

Sorry about that, this phone does its own thing sometimes. I personally have a 6.5 - 284 proof carbon barrel for sale, it's 24 inches long, I took it off my custom titanium action after shooting about 100 rounds because it didn't go as fast as I wanted it to, so I put a 26 inch barrel on it. It now shoots the speeds I want, but is not quite as accurate as the 24 inch barrel.

... because it didn't go as fast as I wanted it to, so I put a 26 inch barrel on it.

I had to chuckle at the autocorrect.

On topic: that is a coherent reason and would answer my "why" question. I wonder what the reason is for the 7mm in question?

Why would someone get rid of something if it is in good condition ????? I don't think so! You will be buying someone else's problems.
Nah keep away from it spend a couple more dollars and get a
Rock Creek Barrel

Ive taken practically new barrels off i didnt like for one reason or another and sold them. Didnt like a twist, a speed, length, weight etc. Simple to ask why from the seller. Ive also bought many "used" barrels. With one exception ive been pleased with all of them. I bought a major brand 6.8 spc barrel at twenty inches and a 10 twist. It didnt shoot like i wanted or handle as well as my 16 so i took it off after 40 rounds. As far as fitting...a lot of rifles, even factory, mass produced Remingtons are darn close on headspace. In all the years ive gotten used Remington barrels ive only had to lenghten or shorten a chamber a couple times and it was very close.

I regularly see folks in my shop who want a DIFFERENT BARREL after putting only XX rounds through it. Unless they are hell bent on changing it or have CLEARLY selected a bullet Wt/Twist combo that will just never work, (.224/75gr in 1:12 - Guy had a factory Remmy and was dead set on shooting 75 grainers after someone ELSE opened up the chamber to .222 MAG.) then I counsel patience and we discuss the hows and whys and see if we can get it to shoot BEFORE i start swapping barrels.

Sometimes its an obvious thing. I have generally had good luck with most 2nd hand barrels, I am careful about head-spacing, trued receiver faces and torque. I have built several rifles off of customer takeoffs and shoot 1MOA or better from a rest with selected factory ammo and I know that hand-loading and tuning will better that.

Last edited:
My 28 nosler had a previous life of 15 rounds as a LRM. Didn't meet expectations, was rechambered to 28 nosler, shoots way better than I do. Proof carbon bbl. Also bought and re sold a used APA chambered 6.5-47L. Was installed on a bighorn action by the fella who bought it. Also a tack driver. Just some for- instances. Original question was if it would fit though. It should.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.