PTG Oversized Bolt Problem

LWolken

I had my smith put an oversized bolt in my rem 722 took it to the range and it miss fired several times. Appears that the firing pin does not protrude through the bolt face enough. I tried several other firing pin shroud assemblies and they all stuck out the same. Best I can tell the bolt is too long or the threads that were cut into the back by PTG were not clocked correctly to put the bolt shroud up against the back of the bolt body properly. Is there a way to machine the firing pin shroud that would allow the pin to travel forward about .005" more? If I seat the primers flush they fire however if I seat them below flush they won't fire. I would rather modify the firing pin assembly rather than making a face cut on the new bolt, rehead spacing etc.

Thanks,

Lance

Lance

First remove the shroud and the sear from the firing pin and spring
assembly. (Very tough if you dont have the right tool).

Then place the firing pin and spring assembly in the bolt and see if it
protrudes any more than before. If not then simply take .004 or .005
off the face of the firing pin stop.

Reassemble and test fire, if it is still not enough dissassemble and
repeat the process a few thousandth at a time.

If you have another rifle that does fine then you can also measure
how many thousandth the firing pin protrudes on it and use this for a
maximiun length.

"A WORD OF CAUTION" go slow because if it protrudes to much then
it will pierce the primers (Not Good).

J E CUSTOM

Also make sure the bolt handle is timed properly and that the cocking piece is not hitting the cam in the closed position (not likely, but a possibility)

308nate

I had my smith put an oversized bolt in my rem 722 took it to the range and it miss fired several times. Appears that the firing pin does not protrude through the bolt face enough. I tried several other firing pin shroud assemblies and they all stuck out the same. Best I can tell the bolt is too long or the threads that were cut into the back by PTG were not clocked correctly to put the bolt shroud up against the back of the bolt body properly. Is there a way to machine the firing pin shroud that would allow the pin to travel forward about .005" more? If I seat the primers flush they fire however if I seat them below flush they won't fire. I would rather modify the firing pin assembly rather than making a face cut on the new bolt, rehead spacing etc.

Thanks,

Lance

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. JE would it be alright to machine the recess of the shroud rather than the firing pin stop?

Thanks!

Lance

Yes but make sure that the stop is not the problem first.

Chances are the new bolt is thicker inside the bolt to
the bolt face.

J E CUSTOM

I would bet its not a PTG problem, you need to take or send it to a smith that knows what he is doing. It may be a metal chip in the firing pin hole or a number of other things that would cause a problem like that. Before you go to cutting on anything find out what is wrong with it. I would never cut the rear of the bolt trying to lengthen the firing pin. The stop on the pin is the limiting factor on the amount of pin that comes past the bolt face. I like .035" protrusion. Good luck.

My bet is with the timing! Dont cut on anything until you find out what it is. You dont cut and see? You would be buying alot of stuff that way.

Jason

My moneys is on PT&G having it right...

Always measure twice and cut once. Always modify the least expensive part first. If you don't know what you are doing get someone who does.
Bad advice is just that, bad advice.
Rustystud

Update

Let me see if I can describe this properly. The material which makes up the Bolt face and firing pin hole taper in the back of the bolt body was too long. We ended up maching the shoulder of the firing pin where the taper meets the shoulder which would allow the pin to protrude further through the PTG Bolt. I tried seevral firing pins and swapped the current one into another remington 700 and its perfect. Does PTG do this so that we must make a bolt face cut? Does the PTG bolt face need truing? I don't understand why PTG would make it this way unless it was a mistake. What is the factory spec for firing pin protrusion on a remmy 700? My others measured around 50-55 thou? Surely .035" is not enough? Gun shoots great! Still not sure why we had to do this? Maybe someone can explain?

Lance

Sorry about the bum information. Custom bolt makers usually set them to .045" most of the major rifle manufacturers use .050-.055".

Let me see if I can describe this properly. The material which makes up the Bolt face and firing pin hole taper in the back of the bolt body was too long. We ended up maching the shoulder of the firing pin where the taper meets the shoulder which would allow the pin to protrude further through the PTG Bolt. I tried seevral firing pins and swapped the current one into another remington 700 and its perfect. Does PTG do this so that we must make a bolt face cut? Does the PTG bolt face need truing? I don't understand why PTG would make it this way unless it was a mistake. What is the factory spec for firing pin protrusion on a remmy 700? My others measured around 50-55 thou? Surely .035" is not enough? Gun shoots great! Still not sure why we had to do this? Maybe someone can explain?

Lance

Lance

I'm glad you worked out your problem and it was simple.

I liked your method of testing other firing pins, that eliminated the possibility of
it being the firing pin.

I dont think PTG did anything but make a mistake (we are all human) on this bolt
or it got through inspection without being caught.

I had hoped that this was the problem because it would be easy to find and fix.

The main thing is that you are shooting and having fun.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I certainly do not know how this bolt was made and also don't know how it was intended to be made. However, if you measure primer strikes for BR actions, you will most likely find none past .025" depth. Its entirely possible it was made that way. Again I do not know but for a BR bolt, trued action and handloads, .035" protrusion is fine and that is usually when a PTG bolt would be used. The dents in my 6mm Dasher Savage are .020", and the PGW Timberwolff fired .338 Lapua dents measure .022". I never measured my lapua dents but the protrusion is between .035" and .040" FWIW.

Cheers

The PT&G lugs are longer and you will need the correct shrowd and firing pin. It is a no brainer. Factory parts and After Market parts are not the same. Over sized should tell you something.
Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.