savage bolt problem???

luke

I recently bought a savage 116 in 270win. When I got the rifle it came with a box of factory ammo. I quickly shot that up with no issues. Today I went to the range to start load development but the rifle wouldnt shoot. The first round fired but the second one acted like a dead primer. After waiting a few minutes I opened the bolt set the round aside and grabbed the 3rd round. Same thing. It wouldnt fire.After a few mminutes I lifted the bolt and tried again. This time it fired. I stopped shooting that rifle for the day. When I got home I tried a different type of primer thinking that was the problem. With empty cases I tried to pop the primers. 3 different brands of primers 10 of each only a couple of the 30 primers went off. All primers were struck and slightly dented by the firing pin but the ones that went off were alot deeper dents. I have another rifle just like it so I swapped bolts and tried a few new primers. Every one of these popped without fail. Any thoughts. I also took the bolts apart and swapped the springs but that did not help.

Are you properly depressing the accutrigger blade ? Take the action out of the stock and verify that the accutrigger blade is not blocking the sear and thereby preventing the firing pin from making its full travel.

If that is not the issue, then remove the bolt and with a pair of pliers, release the firing pin from the detent that keeps it cocked when the bolt handle is up (as it has to be to remove the bolt). Now check the projection of the firing pin. If it is short, then it sounds like it is damaged.

I have never had to check any of mine, just remove the firing pin to change a bolt head. I seem to recall firing pin stickout is 0.065" ??? Someone please correct if I am wrong.

Thanks for the advice. I dont believe it to be the accutrigger blade because with the bolt feom the other rifle in it it worked. I also took the bolts from both rifles apart and swapped the firing pin assemblies and the 270 bolt still wont fire the primer.

How did the primers look on the factory rounds that you shot? I would check my die set up. You may be over-under sizing them, causing the firering pin to push the case, causing a light strike. The other bolts boltface may not be as deep allowing a better firering pin strike. I'm just thinking here, how did the pin look when you had it apart? You could measure the pin protrusion and adjust if needed. Savage usually sets the pin with plenty of protrusion.

I checked the protrusion of the pin. Everything looked good. I didnt check the brass. It is new never fired brass that I primed. I will prime the once fired stuff and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice.

I resized 5 pieces of the once fired brass and primed it today before I went to work and the primers went off with no problems. I didnt have time to take measurements and compare the new brass to once fired but hopefully tomorrow I will. Thanks for all the help.

Luke you said you shot one round then it failed on the second, did you pierce the primer on that first round? If so it was likely the primer flake floating around inside your bolt and wedging your Fire Pin. When you swapped them back and fourth it may have fell out. I would check the primer on the first reload you shot and see if it pierced, (will be a small hole in it)

Jim I checked the primer right after the shot. This was the first time to the range with this rifle and asalways I checked the brass for ppressure signs before shooting another. I actually found the problem. It was the new brass. It is a few thousandths shorter at the shoulder and the brass was able to push forward enough for a weak pin strike that failed to detonate the primer. Thank you for the reply.

So it was headspace issue?

I too have had FTF with my 116. 3. First two factory Coreloct, out them back in and fired. I forgot to look at primer. Now I had WLR primer with a dent. Shot a few more after that.

Probably around 100-150 through the gun. Bought used, but still had sticker on it.

Also had a few jams. I though maybe I bent the lips, I didn't realize it was only 3 round magazine.

I have love hate for the gun. It can be accurate. But PIA to load. Magazine is longer then 700 and shells get cockeyed. Scope bases are cantalevered over magazine too.

I have not measured firing pin, just visual. If I failed to fully engage trigger do to safety, would the trigger still fire, but with less pressure?

I am to the point, I am thinking different firing pin assembly or bolt. I don't want to wait 75 rounds to see if it is fixed, when looking at a buck.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.