mauser bolt problem

bubbadad

I have a mauser 98 action chambered in 22-250.last fall I was shooting it after putting micro bore coating in it . ran out of shells at range and borrowed a couple from a friend.Bad mistake !! second round when fired locked up the action.had to take a rubber mallet to bolt handle to open it and shell was still stuck in chamber.took a cleaning rod and drove it out .everything seemed to work fine .I took it to the range yesterday (50 drgrees) and tried to shoot it, firing pin not impacting primer !! tried several rounds to no avail . Went home and was going to disassemble bolt but ran into a problem. it has an after market safty on it (mark 2 ) no middle position,either on or off and when I open bolt it automaticly goes off safety.how do I disassemble it? Or is it the bolt? It had good primer dents before the bad shell.Any help would be appreciated ,need it for my trip to North Dakota in june !!gun)

This should help.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35D9Af1jV3E]Mauser 98 Bolt Removal With The Buehler Low Profile Safety - YouTube[/ame]

Another safety test you should do on a Mauser 98 with this safety is check the gun is empty cock the bolt and apply the safety watch the cocking piece for slight rearward movement . Then squeeze the trigger a few times and then let the safety off . If it fires the safety has been incorrectly fitted .
When put on the safety it should draw the cocking piece back somewhat if it does not and the safety is very easy to engage it will usually fire if put off after the trigger has been squeezed . This can happen inadvertently on your clothing , pack straps , twigs on a bush whatever . Then when you slip the safety off it goes bang! and could be a tragedy .
The person who fitted it has taken off too much metal in order to make it easier to apply but in doing so has made it dangerous. A new safety will be required .

Dry firing guns that have recently pierced a primer may surprise you with piece of primer flying out the bore.

I did get it apart and cleaned.put a primrd brass in it and pop ! very good primer dent. when the weather cooperates i will take it to the range for final sighting in.

Just inherited a FN Mauser Large ring that was originally a JC Higgins Model 50 and after taking the rife apart for cleaning was stumped at trying to remove the bolt shroud. All the Mauser 98 instructions were for a non Buhler type safety shroud. A search on this site produced this video which did the trick and I was able to remove the shroud and clean inside the bolt.

This is the best site by far.

Thanks

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.