Property owners - have you noticed this phenomena?

YZ-80

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to own my own hunting property. No big deal but it's 33 acres and is part of a 165 acre farm that was parceled out back in 2008. It's 10 acres tilled and 23 wooded with 1500 ft of creek frontage. It's "land- locked" by other property in Ag retention all around it. We just finished construction of our home on this piece of ground in August. Anyway, the guys on either side of me are hunters too. We get along fine, but there is a bit of " territorial" sentiment that is always lurking beneath the surface between us. With that said, my question is this:

Is is just me, or does it seem to be that cherry hunting spots always seem to be situated around property boundaries?

I also am a property owner just a small piece but enough to hunt on.
I personally think most of the time those are not the cherry spots, but people tend to get a case of the grass is greener on the other side syndrome, and that is why they love to sit on property lines.
To me this is usually quite foolish because if you are honest and don't trespass all you are doing is handicapping yourself by limiting the area you can hunt.

Depending on your state laws, there are many ways to bring those game animals to your lot and make them want to stay around. Of course, your neighbors may do the same things: Food plots, feeders, specific crop plantings for deer-quail-turkey- etc, salt/mineral licks (above or in ground), fruit bearing trees, pea plants, turnip greens, etc, etc.

We got 5000 acres leased in west Texas all of our deer stands are way off fence lines but our roads are on the lines there are a few stands on other people's property right on the fence lines and they get mad when we drive bye
One guy shot a monster buck out of one but who knows what side of the fence he was on

I also am a property owner just a small piece but enough to hunt on.
I personally think most of the time those are not the cherry spots, but people tend to get a case of the grass is greener on the other side syndrome, and that is why they love to sit on property lines.
To me this is usually quite foolish because if you are honest and don't trespass all you are doing is handicapping yourself by limiting the area you can hunt.

I'm going to agree with this. We owned 86 acres when I was growing up. It had good hunting on it. It was also landlocked and we were on good terms with our neighbors. Few of them hunted and didn't mind if we hunted on their property. I killed a lot of deer on other people's property. But over the years, things changed. Ownership changed and new houses were built. I had to spend more time on our property. I killed just as many deer there as the other places. But there are still some places across the fence that I would love to spend more time.

50 acres I hunt is in the middle of trophy managed 1200 acres. Every time we shot the guys want to know what we shot, pics, and why we shot it.

I shot a coyote and they were texting the land owner (my buddy) asking for photos. That's annoying. Mind your own business.

they would send us trail cam pics of monster bucks asking us to pass on them. Get out of here bro.

I have a good friend that has lots of farm ground with crops . His good neighbor sold out and the new owners set box blinds right on the fence line and was shooting deer on both sides . Definitely wrong ..so being the good neighbor my buddy was he loaded up the liquid manure spreader and covered the fence line ! That's when the fight started !

Rum Man

50 acres I hunt is in the middle of trophy managed 1200 acres. Every time we shot the guys want to know what we shot, pics, and why we shot it.

I shot a coyote and they were texting the land owner (my buddy) asking for photos. That's annoying. Mind your own business.

they would send us trail cam pics of monster bucks asking us to pass on them. Get out of here bro.
Just have a stock photo of big foot and send that to them before you go out each time and say this is what you're hunting and if a shot is fired you got it

Depending on your state laws, there are many ways to bring those game animals to your lot and make them want to stay around. Of course, your neighbors may do the same things: Food plots, feeders, specific crop plantings for deer-quail-turkey- etc, salt/mineral licks (above or in ground), fruit bearing trees, pea plants, turnip greens, etc, etc.
You hit the nail on the head! We are all trying to make the deer feel safe and bring them in with plots, clover, radishes, etc., but it's crazy because I always see bucks over the line and even though my neighbor tells me to shoot them, I don't feel right about doing it. Why can't the bucks just stay on my property when I'm hunting!

OMG that is annoying! Start sending them pictures of spikes and 4 points and tell them you are focusing on culling as many young bucks as you can in the area.

They put stands on property lines so they can hunt all of theirs and some of yours. I see it a lot around here, causes all kinds of trouble.

Ding Ding Ding, this is the same here. We have a total of roughly 3,500 acres. Some are 80-120 acres plots but our main farm is 2,800. You can drive any fence line on any one of our properties and find stands within 50 yard of our fences.

Hi all,

I'm lucky enough to own my own hunting property. No big deal but it's 33 acres and is part of a 165 acre farm that was parceled out back in 2008. It's 10 acres tilled and 23 wooded with 1500 ft of creek frontage. It's "land- locked" by other property in Ag retention all around it. We just finished construction of our home on this piece of ground in August. Anyway, the guys on either side of me are hunters too. We get along fine, but there is a bit of " territorial" sentiment that is always lurking beneath the surface between us. With that said, my question is this:

Is is just me, or does it seem to be that cherry hunting spots always seem to be situated around property boundaries?
I think it's the old saying that the grass is greener on the other side of the fence ! I have great spots in the middle of my 150 acres and can find good spots also on the property boundaries ! But I think most of us have a watch on or near boundaries knowing that game will most likely get chased across those lines by the other land owners ! Just my take !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.