Proper trigger pull and shooting technique

A/1-61

I know that there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum. I would like to start a discussion on proper trigger pull and shooting technique. We can bandy words around like finger tip, pad, power crease, proper anticipation, breathing, follow through and maintaining site picture. Of course everyone is different , every rifle is different, and there are as many techniques as there are shooters. Any of your little secrets that you can divulge would be appreciated.

There is no "one" answer to the question. As you mention everyone is different and that includes our physical construction of our hands and fingers. What works for one may not work for another. What all the various recommendations try to achieve is to have as little input into the rifle as possible. That means not jerking the rifle in any direction (hence squeeze not jerk) and not putting a lateral (sideways) force on the rifle (pull straight back). Depending on the size of your hands, the design of the stock, and whether you shooting off hand or shooting stick or rest what is right for you will likely be slightly different. Or it may be significantly different.

If you think about it, a woman with short fingers and a man with a big hand and long fingers are not going to be placing the finger on the trigger the same unless the stock is different. They both must find a method to achieve straight pull, not any specific trigger/finger placement.

I've seen guys "pinch" the trigger with the thumb opposed on the back of the trigger guard at the range. Seems practical off the bench but not necessarily in the field. The biggest thing for me to control is flinch response and I'm sure others battle this as well. Testing for precision/accuracy can be a tedious affair. A good trigger is a must.

Also depends on the rifle! When my 6br was in a traditional style stock if on a bench I would place my thumb on back of trigger guard and my finger tip on trigger and nothing else would touch the rifle, I since put that barreled action in a chassis and no longer have the back of the guard to put my thumb in as it just ends when it comes straight back and ends at the grip

Any of your little secrets that you can divulge would be appreciated.
I think the best "secret" I can divulge to anyone would be to get some professional instruction. Guys will spend several thousand dollars on equipment and not know how to utilize said equipment. It's like buying a Ferrari and only driving the speed limit.😂 Spending a few hundred dollars on yourself can be a lifetime investment that pays back in dividends. To me watching a video or reading about techniques on the internet only makes you aware, it doesn't teach you. I always tell hunters wanting to shoot further to learn to shoot what you have, and when you can outshoot your equipment that's when you upgrade.

As the author of this post I should ad that I have a Jewell trigger on my top three shooters set at 2lb 9oz and I purposely anticipate the shot. I am working on follow through and maintaining a sight picture in the scope after the shot. The idea of pressing the thumb on the rear of the trigger guard is interesting. Also, I've read about the idea of visualizing your whole body aiming at the target from prone shots. Also considering practicing dry firing with one of my 22s.

Also depends on the rifle! When my 6br was in a traditional style stock if on a bench I would place my thumb on back of trigger guard and my finger tip on trigger and nothing else would touch the rifle, I since put that barreled action in a chassis and no longer have the back of the guard to put my thumb in as it just ends when it comes straight back and ends at the grip
Interesting about the thumb

Anticipation of the shot is part of the issue. You are engaging the trigger, knowing it will go boom. That causes a reaction before the shot breaks.
Best way I have found to correct anticipation is to realize when you walk into a fight, you are going to get punched. Once you overcome being afraid of the hit, "allowing" the trigger to break allows you to overcome anticipation of the shot.

I also have found, on some rifles, I shoot them better without a muzzle brake. The anticipation of the concussion adds to my pre-anticipation..

Recent Posts