Proof barrel Issue

That's not a bad idea. Similar to what they do for timing Ruger #1 rifles I'm guessing? It would be a lot of work with trial and error but if the rifle shoots then on the end it's worth it. Not that this needs to be my primary rifle. I've got others that shoot better but I have a lot of ammo that was gifted to me for this rifle that would be good to be able to use and not be frustrated.
Free floating is always the goal, but when it doesn't work, make the barrel go where You want it. Typically bedding material is placed on last 3/4" of stock tip, let it set for 20 min, then wrap action behind recoil lug area and rear of action with 4 or 5 wraps of electric tape. Place stock upside down in vice, coat barrel with a release agent and mount barrelled action until screws are just snug. Depending on the tape thickness you should get about .020 to .025 bedding. Take tape off after about 24hrs and remount action. If action bedding is tight you may just have to cut pieces of tape and place on bottom of receiver. I may have missed a couple of steps but thats the basis. I suspect this will improve it significantly.

I have not had the time to do that. I am still planning on doing that. I may be that despite the bedding being good the stock is still an issue.
I agree, worst case it removes any question of the stock being any part of the issue. Maybe check the crown also

I agree, worst case it removes any question of the stock being any part of the issue. Maybe check the crown also
The crown was untouched from the previous rifle to the current one. The only difference is that it now only has a thread protector instead of a suppressor.

my situation was different but it was a proof CF bbl and it was a 280ai it shot very well for a. Few months then all of a sudden groups were dancing all around not making any sense so I tried everything I was aware to fix bad groups and nothing helped so I sent it to my smith and we literally Tried his own load development double checked all his work and nothing worked SO I bought a new barrel ( not carbon wrapped) and my bad groups are just over an inch not the 3-4 inch I was getting with the CF. That being my smith has only seen this activity a few times with proof cf bbls. They start out great then they start doing odd groups for no reason and the common group I was getting was same hole same hole 3 inches away or one hole 3 inches away then back to the original hole and the misses we not consistent either they appeared all around the clock

my situation was different but it was a proof CF bbl and it was a 280ai it shot very well for a. Few months then all of a sudden groups were dancing all around not making any sense so I tried everything I was aware to fix bad groups and nothing helped so I sent it to my smith and we literally Tried his own load development double checked all his work and nothing worked SO I bought a new barrel ( not carbon wrapped) and my bad groups are just over an inch not the 3-4 inch I was getting with the CF. That being my smith has only seen this activity a few times with proof cf bbls. They start out great then they start doing odd groups for no reason and the common group I was getting was same hole same hole 3 inches away or one hole 3 inches away then back to the original hole and the misses we not consistent either they appeared all around the clock
That sounds very frustrating as well. Did you contact proof to get the barrel replaced? I know they have good customer service. Unfortunately with the added work we've done that's not an option for. On a different note, what load did you end up settling on for your 280 AI? A friend of mine has one and it's always fun to compare notes.

Cheers

Bad luck with "high quality" big name barrels made me get a bore scope.
A good inspection BEFORE chambering gives me more confidence. Obvious problems are easy to spot, but some aren't obvious.
These were verified by the manufacturers and replaced thankfully.
Also a good way to inspect the crown and monitor erosion, and make sure it's actually clean when you call it good.

That sounds very frustrating as well. Did you contact proof to get the barrel replaced? I know they have good customer service. Unfortunately with the added work we've done that's not an option for. On a different note, what load did you end up settling on for your 280 AI? A friend of mine has one and it's always fun to compare notes.

Cheers
I did not get a warranty it just left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't want to risk it so I got a bartlein (because I've had great luck with that brand) and my groups have been great but I have a few loads my copper load is the 140gr badlands BD2s with H4831. Hornady 162 eldx with H4831 and Hornady 180 ELDM with RL23

I did not get a warranty it just left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't want to risk it so I got a bartlein (because I've had great luck with that brand) and my groups have been great but I have a few loads my copper load is the 140gr badlands BD2s with H4831. Hornady 162 eldx with H4831 and Hornady 180 ELDM with RL23
What kind of accuracy and velocities are you seeing with the 140 gr badlands? The 280 AI is very interesting round.

What kind of accuracy and velocities are you seeing with the 140 gr badlands? The 280 AI is very interesting round.
It's pretty accurate out of my rifle but I'm getting 2950 and the same load in my dads rig it's getting 3025 and I could push it a little faster but I'm not worried about it works pretty dang good as it is

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpeg
    IMG_2431.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 23
It's pretty accurate out of my rifle but I'm getting 2950 and the same load in my dads rig it's getting 3025 and I could push it a little faster but I'm not worried about it works pretty dang good as it is
That looks great and at 2950 fps they're humming along at a good pace too.