Proof barrel Issue

gerpwaller

Hi Guys,

I have a 308 with a 22" proof barrel on a tikka action bedded and floated in an Iota Eko stock. I'm having some issues with it that seem very strange to me. I will start off by saying getting a replacement barrel is likley not an option as I was gifted this barrel and it was pulled off a PGW build. My gunsmith (the same one who installed it on the pgw in the first place) then turned the barrel down so that it fit my action and cerakoted the metal on the barrel OD green to match the green in the stock. I am aware of the possibility that this extra work may have compromised the integrity of the barrel but the results are still confusing to me. The rifle that the barrel came off of had a very low round count and for indications was very accurate (3 different bullets shooting 5 round groups inside 0.75 moa). I realize that since Hornday's podcasts on group sizes that 5 rounds is statistically meaningless but there was no indication that it wasn't a shooter.

Shooting both 168 gr GMM and 168gr federal Terminal Ascent bullets the first 3 shots are inaccurate (group about 2.5 moa) before it settles in to do 10 and even 20 round groups inside 1.5". After seeing this trend a few times I decided to do a cold bore accuracy test shooting 2 shots at two different targets on different days. The 1st shot group is strung largely vertically but from about the 7:00 position to the 2:00 position shooting a 2.5" group after 7 cold bore shots. The second shot group is strung horizontally 2.5" with only about 1" vertical dispersion. Dispersion of both groups is realatively even so it's not like it's grouping well with the occasional flyer. After about 3 shots the rifle will group both loads into 1.5" or less. I have tested this 3 times. Twice doing 10 round groups and once finishing the box and doing a 17 round group all three of which were under 1.5 moa (one group was done at 360 yards the rest at a bench at 100 yards). This is what prompted me to do a cold bore test to see if I can expect it to be reliable hunting rifle. I've tried researching if anyone has seen similar issues with a proof barrel with no luck. I can't really complain much since I was gifted the barrel but it makes no sense to me, and is making my brain itch, why the barrel would seem to need a bit of heat in order to be accurate.

I've been shooting off of a sand bag with a sand bag for a rear support. I have other rifles that I can routinely shoot 10-20 groups into 1-1.5 moa so I know the issue isn't simply my shooting. I'm open to any theories as to why this might be the case. If the general consensus si that the barrel is pooched from the extra work needed to convert it to a tikka compatible barrel then so be it. It still doesn't explain why it shoots great when warmed up and terrible when cold.

Cheers,

Gary

I've noticed while figuring new loads with my cf that after shooting a few times it also grouped better.....but recently I dropped powder charge and it started shooting really good...has about 600+ thru it...sendero cut down from 26" to 22"...got rid of that front heavy feeling...
This is my last group....
20231008_092929.jpg
..at 400yds...had to be the gun...I surely cannot shoot that well....65284Lapua(had to rename my rifles due to 3 65284s...

Last edited:
Hard to say as there are a ton of variables in this equation to be able to point your finger at one. I have been in a similar situation as you with a factory barrel and no matter how much I tried to force the rifle to like this specific bullet I finally realized it just wouldn't. I have not had a great experience the terminal ascent bullets in terms of accuracy compared to others but not 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I would go buy you a few different brands and see if it follows the current trend or if it the ammo.

Good luck with your investigation.

By your own admission you say the barrel was accurate on another action but was pulled off then worked on now its not, in my opinion you can't blame the barrel, if its not shooting now its because of the work that was done or something else.
I readily admit that the barrel may be pooched. What doesn't make sense to me is that the cold bore groups are close to double what the groups are when the rifle is warmed up a bit. If it just flat out didn't shoot that would be a lot easier to understand.

Hard to say as there are a ton of variables in this equation to be able to point your finger at one. I have been in a similar situation as you with a factory barrel and no matter how much I tried to force the rifle to like this specific bullet I finally realized it just wouldn't. I have not had a great experience the terminal ascent bullets in terms of accuracy compared to others but not 2.5 inches at 100 yards. I would go buy you a few different brands and see if it follows the current trend or if it the ammo.

Good luck with your investigation.
I have heard that the terminal ascent aren't as accurate as they claim to be. However, once the barrel has a bit of heat in it it seems to love that ammo. I just can't rely on it Inca hunting situation for more than 200 yards if the cold bore group is 2.5". The same thing with the GMM. In my experience I haven't seen a decent 308 that won't shoot 168 gmm at least inside 1.5" (probably 10 different 308's custom and factory) and again with heat this rifle will but not cold bore.

I've noticed while figuring new loads with my cf that after shooting a few times it also grouped better.....but recently I dropped powder charge and it started shooting really good...has about 600+ thru it...sendero cut down from 26" to 22"...got rid of that front heavy feeling...
View attachment 500985
..at 400yds...had to be the gun...I surely cannot shoot that well....65284Lapua(had to rename my rifles due to 3 65284s...
That is a great group.

I'm planning on trying a cold bore test with gmm as well as I know that to be an accurate load. I'm also planning to try the TA ammo out of my target 308 which is an honest sub moa with 20 round groups of 168 and 175 gr GMM and 175 gr match burners. That way I can see what the potential for the ammo is in the heavy gun and also see what the cold bore potential is in the carbon rifle.

View attachment 500985
So far this has all been with factory loads. I will try colbe bore groups with gmm in the proof rifle as well as I've found that to be accurate in pretty much every rifle myself or my gunsmith have tried it in.