Proof barrel question

BML

Looking for some first hand experience from Proof owners. I just had my 28 Nosler built and had an interesting set of data as far as speeds. I shot one fouler round and then a 5 shot group. Speeds were as follows, in order.

3305, 3297, 3272, 3274, 3276, 3278

The 5 shot group was quarter MOA at 100 yards and clearly the speeds settled in perfectly after the first two rounds. Conditions were cold with temps in the upper 20's. My assumption is once the barrel warmed up the speeds settled in.

My question for those who have experience with Proof barrels is if this is common for the barrel or likely due to the cold temps?

If it is a new barrel and these are the first few rounds, then don't get worked up over it yet. The barrel needs to break in, which can take over a 100 rounds through it. Work on load development after the break in.

How many total rounds down the barrel?

If it is a new barrel and these are the first few rounds, then don't get worked up over it yet. The barrel needs to break in, which can take over a 100 rounds through it. Work on load development after the break in.

Rounds 25-30. I wasn't worried too much about it. More so just curious if there was something different with it being a carbon barrel vs the standard. I appreciate the tip.

Last edited:
I have 3 Proof barrels and one is in 28 Nosler but I have never noticed it doing that.

Did your 28 Nosler shoot well right out of the gate or did you see increasing speeds/accuracy at some point? I've owned a couple custom built guns and have never done a traditional barrel "break in". Both those guns shot sub half inch MOA.

Did your 28 Nosler shoot well right out of the gate or did you see increasing speeds/accuracy at some point? I've owned a couple custom built guns and have never done a traditional barrel "break in". Both those guns shot sub half inch MOA.
Mine shot well from the beginning but It did increase 30 fps in velocity after about 50 rounds. I had a few fliers here and there due to virgin brass but I never do load development anymore until after the barrel speeds up and my brass is fire formed. My proof 6.5 Creedmoor increased by 25 fps after 60 rounds but I used Hornady match ammo to break it in and it shot .6 MOA with that factory ammo and is .3 MOA with the Berger 130 VLD at 2950 fps.

Mine shot well from the beginning but It did increase 30 fps in velocity after about 50 rounds. I had a few fliers here and there due to virgin brass but I never do load development anymore until after the barrel speeds up and my brass is fire formed. My proof 6.5 Creedmoor increased by 25 fps after 60 rounds but I used Hornady match ammo to break it in and it shot .6 MOA with that factory ammo and is .3 MOA with the Berger 130 VLD at 2950 fps.

Right on. I appreciate the tips. I pretty much have the same plan. I still have 40 pieces of new brass to fire form, which will put my round count at 70 when I start load development.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts