Proof barrel Issue

Are we sure? I believe proof barrels are under 1" where the cf starts, but not positive. How else do you fit to a Savage nut?
Looking at proof diagrams for savage prefits the diameter is 1.04. When I've done savage barrel changes the barrel nut on the muzzle side has a little allowance

I don't know the answer to your question however whenever you machine steel it changes things such as stress which may have been induced during the machining process just something to think about also stress relief and time go hand-in-hand possibly something to think about.

The key point in the second link is Tikkas need a smaller shoulder than Rem 700, so I would guess all 1.25" barrels are turned down when fitting to a Tikka. This is not abnormal. My M70 stock barrel shoulder was 1.13 or 1.15".
Quoting my own post as this looks like bad info as I have looked into it more. Proof has diagrams on their site that clearly show I'm wrong assuming they can be turned down.

So, I'll try to be a bit clearer on what was done to the barrel.

The action end of the barrel was machined down a few thousandths and the reamer run through for a "fresh" chamber. And new threads were cut as the previous diameter of the threaded portion was a wider diameter than for a tikka action.

The exposed steel portion of the barrel was turned down to match the diameter of the tikka action. A portion of the CF was also turned down to match the diameter.

This may have induced stress to the barrel. Although, I'm not sure that it would induce much more than the initial cutting of a chamber? I suppose any amount of machining/milling has the potential to introduce stress to the barrel.

Regarding cutting the strands of carbon compromising the barrel integrity that is also possible. However, looking at the carbon pattern and profiles of proof and carbon six barrels I suspect that they are machined at the factory. Unlike barrels with a traditional style carbon weave the C6 and proof barrels are able to be machined.

After all machining/lathe work was done the exposed metal was cerakoted OD green following the cerakote guidelines prescribed by proof.

Again, I am very open to the possibility that we pooched what otherwise appeared to be a very good barrel. I do need to do further ammo testing (not with the federal TA ammo) to confirm the results. Since our target rigs only managed 2" 20 round groups with it. If you told me at the beginning of the process that it would only be a half moa worse than my target rifle I'd have been thrilled but 2.5" premium hunting ammo is not as good as I would have expected.

The big question is still why it seems to shoot accurately when it gets warm. I will have to do some more testing on that and also verify that the action is bedded stress free as that would be something that makes sense as an explanation to what I'm seeing.

Thanks for all your input so far guys. It is appreciated.

The action end of the barrel was machined down a few thousandths and the reamer run through for a "fresh" chamber. And new threads were cut as the previous diameter of the threaded portion was a wider diameter than for a tikka action.

The exposed steel portion of the barrel was turned down to match the diameter of the tikka action. A portion of the CF was also turned down to match the diameter.

This may have induced stress to the barrel. Although, I'm not sure that it would induce much more than the initial cutting of a chamber? I suppose any amount of machining/milling has the potential to introduce stress to the barrel.

Regarding cutting the strands of carbon compromising the barrel integrity that is also possible. However, looking at the carbon pattern and profiles of proof and carbon six barrels I suspect that they are machined at the factory. Unlike barrels with a traditional style carbon weave the C6 and proof barrels are able to be machined.

After all machining/lathe work was done the exposed metal was cerakoted OD green following the cerakote guidelines prescribed by proof.

Again, I am very open to the possibility that we pooched what otherwise appeared to be a very good barrel. I do need to do further ammo testing (not with the federal TA ammo) to confirm the results. Since our target rigs only managed 2" 20 round groups with it. If you told me at the beginning of the process that it would only be a half moa worse than my target rifle I'd have been thrilled but 2.5" premium hunting ammo is not as good as I would have expected.

The big question is still why it seems to shoot accurately when it gets warm. I will have to do some more testing on that and also verify that the action is bedded stress free as that would be something that makes sense as an explanation to what I'm seeing.

If I recall at one point in the post you had access to a chassis, have you swapped out the stock for the chassis yet to see if there is a stress point in the stock causing the issue.

Is that verified "C6 and proof barrels are able to be machined"?

If I recall at one point in the post you had access to a chassis, have you swapped out the stock for the chassis yet to see if there is a stress point in the stock causing the issue.
I'm in the middle of our harvest and have not had a chance to switch to the chassis and test again. I will update when I have.

Any updates?
We're getting into our busiest part of the season so unfortunately i haven't had time to continue the process. On a side note my Smith and I have pulled 20 rounds and reloaded them, 10 over 44 gr of Varget and 10'over ramshot Big Game (I forget the weight). After seeing the underwhelming accuracy out of our target rifles we wanted to see what the bullet itself can do with different powders. When pulling the bullets we noticed the factory load density isn't great and the bullets are seated way into the case. He will be shooting the ramshot loads out of his IBI carbon barreled Bergera B-14 and I will be using my target rifle to see how much of a difference it makes. If it brings the group down from 2" to 1-1.5" inches then I'd say that's a significantly improvement. I would like to shoot it out of my proof but first I need to sort out what's going on with that rifle.