Problems with H1000? Rifle randomly shoots high

QQQQQ

Need help, went hunting and couldn't hit elk at 250yds, then 350yds, and 250yds again. Rifle is shooting high, way high, all of the sudden. I can't figure out what has changed. I shot it 2 weeks ago and had no problems. Talked to a guy and he said H1000 goes bad or unstable after a year or so. I have never heard anything of the sort on H1000 and cannot find anything relating to that. Any suggestions?

yep, not the powder, I'm shooting h-1000 that's over 5 years old, same gun, same bullet, same scope, same hole. Hits are good to 1000 in this one.
When I see stuff go that bad, I usually look at the scope or mounts. To miss an elk clean at 250 is more than a loading issue, something is broke or loose.......I've had a case or two of buck fever that I'd love to blame on something else, sometimes it's tougher to hit fur than paper.

I have a 7RM pushing 180 Hyb over H1000 that I loaded 4.5 years ago. Shot it 2 weeks ago. Exact, I mean EXACT, same zero as when I put in in the safe after last year. Hasn't moved zero in 4.5 years.

Super temp stable, clean burning, and accurate too. I use it in a lot of medium magnums for those reasons.

This year, I used a 300 RUM and loads made 2 years ago with H1000. The powder was even a couple years older than that. I took a cow elk with it at 500 something yards in March and my brother took an antelope with the same loads at 865 yards. Never even changed zero on the scope.

Like others said, it's not the powder.

How are you supporting the rifle at the range and when hunting? If you used a front rest and bag at range and switched to a bi-pod that could be your issue. The stock could be touching the barrel when using the bi-pod. This can happened with what appears to be a properly floated barrel. It will shoot high with that issue. You need more clearance between the stock and barrel.

I would say your scope has been bumped off zero or had become loose. I would go over the rings and base to make sure nothing has loosen up. Then double check zero at your set range. If powder had a shelf life they would be out of business, to much of a liability to think powder will go bad, especially after a year, come on, think of all the ammunition sitting on store shelves or in your closet, you will find it is your scope or mounts, not powder...

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming shelf life of H1000. I figured it was not the powder but got nervous when I was told that. Just to kind of recap to close out some questions and suggestions. The shots we're both using bipod and over my pack, at range I shot of bipod. And I will be going over the scope and rings today and trying it on paper. Thanks all

My buddy had the samething happen to him on our caribou hunt. All shots were high also. It was his bases/ rings. I offered to check and blue Loctite them before the hunt. "Never had a problem before with them". If that doesn't work put on a "proven" scope like someone else suggested. Good luck.

Just from my experience, last Christmas I purchased a cheap scope that came with a mount for my AR15, I mounted the scope and sighted in, went out hunting for hogs during the day, didn't see anything, week or so later went out to just shoot at targets, the darn thing was shooting all over the place, reset zero and noticed a slight wobble with scope and base, sort of moved it back and forth with my fingers and found the base had loosened. Tighten the base again and just started trying to move it again and same thing, it would begin to loosen up a little then alot. The scope base screws needed loctite, after adding loctite and sit for 24hrs it would hold. That is what I got for purchasing a cheap scope and mount all in one.

What rifle?
Flimsy stock?
Stick or something lodged in the barrel channel?
Cheap scopes can't take a bunch of bouncing and banging.
Sometimes in the excitement of the hunt, especially a elk fairly close, we forget some of the fundamentals like loading the bipod, etc.
I do know, I don't shoot to the same poi when going from bipod, rest or pack.

After going over my rifle I looked down the barrel and saw some stuff in the barrel. Not sure what it was nothing big. After cleaning I tested and everything is good. It was probably a combination of dirty barrel and excitement. Just glad it was not the scope. Thanks everyone

Need help, went hunting and couldn't hit elk at 250yds, then 350yds, and 250yds again. Rifle is shooting high, way high, all of the sudden. I can't figure out what has changed. I shot it 2 weeks ago and had no problems. Talked to a guy and he said H1000 goes bad or unstable after a year or so. I have never heard anything of the sort on H1000 and cannot find anything relating to that. Any suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.