Problems with new gun

GregH118

My brother has a new gun it's a tikka action brux barrel in 6.5 max barrel has been nitrided inside and out first 15 shells through no problem went to the range the other day and one bullet through target looked like the bullet was tumbling perfect silhouette of bullet next bullet looked like it had mushroomed through target went home checked everything crown was a little rusty no gouges or grooves in crown but gunsmith recrowned it 3rd time we went out could not even hit target one bullet would hit 8 feet low and 3 feet right next roun would be 6 feet high and 3 feet to the left please help no idea what is going on. Bullet 140 eldm powder vitahouri n165 55 grains cci 250 mag primers.

Sounds like there might be a few things going on. Storage issues with rust. stabilization issues - what is the twist rate? Sounds like a 10 or 12 twist, scope or mount issue possibly as well? I would start with manually verifying the twist, assuming it was supposed to be at least an 8? Next would be re-checking base and rings and then shoot a known good scope. He must be very disappointed.

Twist rate is supposed to be 8 he has taken everything off got a new 20 moa rail it's crazy we can't hit paper at 100 yds

Swap scope?
Twist rate wrong? Not,what it is supposed to be. Verify it. You are talking 14 feet in difference between shots? I don't think a crazy twist rate would even make it that bad at 100yrds?
Crown rusty? Where and why is rust on new barrel? Something's not adding up, why recrown it if no nicks grooves etc?

Pictures of setup?

Last edited:
This has me really curious.....were the rounds factory or handloads? Is there a muzzle device on the rifle, or a can being used? Had the barrel been cleaned REALLY well before firing? I've had 3 barrels nitrided, and when I got them back, I got a lot of gunk out.....first thing I would do is swap scope out to a quality , known working scope.....the only time I experienced a problem almost exactly like this, I had a Dave Gentry muzzle brake ( radial) that had come loose , couldn't see it, but it threw bullets all over the place!!! Honestly, 8' low, high, to the side....Half a turn to tighten, and had bug holes again.rsb

It has a muzzle brake radial one from gunsmith we did take it off and shoot same problem new adg brass he swap out scope no help barrel has been cleaned a couple of times reason he had it recrowned is that is the only thing we could see that might be affecting it I dont think it was rust not sure what it was maybe muzzle wasn't tight had carbon blow out between barrel and brake

My brother has a new gun it's a tikka action brux barrel in 6.5 max barrel has been nitrided inside and out first 15 shells through no problem went to the range the other day and one bullet through target looked like the bullet was tumbling perfect silhouette of bullet next bullet looked like it had mushroomed through target went home checked everything crown was a little rusty no gouges or grooves in crown but gunsmith recrowned it 3rd time we went out could not even hit target one bullet would hit 8 feet low and 3 feet right next roun would be 6 feet high and 3 feet to the left please help no idea what is going on. Bullet 140 eldm powder vitahouri n165 55 grains cci 250 mag primers.
Eerything Quintus said & this: Are you certain that it's a new barrel? I had a .30-06 with a high number of rounds through it that did the same thing. It would fire 2 or 3 near perfect then suddenly be off 8" - 10" & sideways!