Having problems with a rifle

Ferrell

I had a 257stw built for me recently and have a couple questions
I am buying 7mmstw brass and have a rcbs FL die set
The gun is chambering shells very smooth and shooting great
But when i am going to eject shell it is not wanting to come out
A few of my buddys have had these built and are shooting 77gr of rl22 with a 100gr nosbt First thought was that load was just going to be hot thru my rifle
but after loading down to 65gr of powder I am beginning to think something is wrong with my gun I have used a caliper on the brass before shot and after shot and am not finding the culprit I don't know if it would have anything to do with the seating of the bullet or not but I am seating the bullet right to wear the bolt closes smoothly

Thanks for any help in advance

Might be a rough chamber... You can use fine GB's bore compound on a hand drill with a proper diameter mop to smoothing things up a bit... If your not comfortable doing yourself; take it to a gunsmith, it shouldn't take but a few minutes to take care of it.

Thanks alot for the input I am taking the gun back to the guy who built the gun on Friday. I took it to a different gunsmith one that is closer to where I leave last week and he said the chamber looked polished nice I would think it would beings I only have 15rds thru the gun, He checked head space and he said that was fine. I also talked with the gunsmith that built the gun and he thought I might have to use a small base die when reloading but I don't see the reason why, I know 3 other guys that have had them built, granted different gunsmith but there guns have no issues. I'm sure there's a significant difference in reamers that each gunsmith used but I'm not a gunsmith

With a large cartridge like the STW…. with that much case diameter and length, looking polished and being polished is hard to see. It only takes a few small spots. Bad chamber extraction is almost always due too rough chambers. If you have to use a small base die on a bolt rifle, then the smith that cut the chamber by using the wrong reamer. Small base die's {hunting} is used for lever, semi auto and pump guns.

Hey thanks alot for all the input hopefully the guy I paid good money will get me back to shooting I thought that sounded funny beings the rcbs fl dies work fine with all my other guns including the 7stw

Try checking the neck, perhaps the brass necks of your cases are too big for neck of the chamber. If a new bullet will go EASILY into a fired case then you have NO problem, but if the bullet is snug or tight, your chamber neck is too small for your brass and could be causing high pressure and making extraction difficult.

Dave

keep in mind that those big cases do not like to be loaded light. They will always be best at a near max loading. Also can be dangerous with light loads
gary

Sounds like a tight neck issue. I would check the necks on a few loaded rounds and ask the gunsmith what neck dimesion is in your rifle and go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.