Primers going in too easily? How do I know?

Troutslayer

I am reloading a bunch of once fired brass that came out of my buddies rifle. The primers seem to be going in much more easily than with other brass. The variables are:
1. This is nickel plated, I have only reloaded straight brass before.
2. I lightly uniformed the bottom of the pockets but I don't think I was removing hardly any metal.
3. It is Federal brass. Never used it until now.

I don't know how little pressure is too little and it seems every time I figure something out I run into another problem. What should I do? Is the nickel just smoother which makes a primer slide in easier? If a primer is a little loose but certainly snug, is there any risk of firing it? I don't want to discard 120 pieces of once fired unless I have to. Thanks for the advice.

I've loaded a few nickel brass, and never noticed any difference in putting in primers. You're not at any risk with the primers the way you have them. I actually put a drop of super glue on real loose primer pockets to get another firing. I don't recommend though, I'm just letting you know you're not putting yourself in danger.

I only uniform the flash hole, and not the pocket. I don't know if most people do, but I don't. You might have removed a little much of the nickel plating, and that's making them loose.

If the primer seats with little to no pressure, I tap the edge of the case head on the bench. If the primer falls out or unseats even a little then I toss that brass.

If you haven't resized all the brass yet, here is a simple thing that lets you feel how loose the pockets are getting. Take the decaper assembly out of a resizing die and see if you can easily press the spent primers out by hand using the assembly. Just hold the brass in one hand and the assembly in the other. If they fall out with the lightest pressure, the pockets are getting too loose to trust for hunting (in my opinion). If you have to press them really hard (or can't unseat them by hand), then you're pretty good to go with that brass.

Don't try the above method with live primers!

Anyway, this is a simple way to sort used brass by hand.

Also, I've found some primers to be slightly larger than others. For example, I've found that CCI-250's are about .0005" larger in diameter than Federal 215's (at least those I have on hand). So a change in primers might let you use the brass a little longer, as .0005" difference in a press fit can make a HUGE difference in fit.

Hope it helps.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.