Primers for 85+grs of powder ???

41mag

I have loaded just about all of my own as well as several other folks ammo for most of my life. However, my experience with the bigger case capacities that are out there nowdays are limited. For the most part past loads in belted cases have always been stoked using the Fed 215 Mag primers and I have had great success with them. I used them mostly due to pouring in what at the time was large amount of the slowest buring powders, wether it was ball or otherwise.

In the past year or so here I have noted continued references to the Fed 215 but did not always "assume" it was the standard or the mag. Now however, I have been loading some of the bigger capacity cases and it has me wondering.I have also noted the use of Russian primers, not necessarily for these type cases but other loads. Are these specificly for competition, are they more consistant, or what is the reasoning behind them in general?

Anyway just had some free time and since this was on my mind figured I would throw it out.

Thanks for any help this way.

The Federal 215 is a large rifle magnum primer. The 210 is their standard large rifle primer. All I have ever used is Federal. Maybe I'm stuck in a rut and maybe something else is better, but I've had great luck w/the GM210M and the GM215M. These are just their Gold Medal Match primers. I think they just undergo another step or so in quality control.

Mike/TX,

The Federal GM215 magnum primer has the hottest spark on the market. It was actually designed for the 300/340 Wby Mags.
I use the GM215M Gold Match primers with great results in my 338 RUM and my 280AI and Federal GM210M Gold Match for everything else.

Regards,

JD338

Mike/TX, Folks are correct in their primer description, but even in large charges some powders do better with std 210 or 210M primers. All the RamShot powders are recommended to use std primers because the powder is designed to not be lit off too fast. Most powders over 50-55 gr and most ball powders do better with a mag type primer. Only using a chronograph and changing primers will tell you the whole truth. Then there is the problem of real cold weather which is not usually when we develop our loads. Oh well, another excuse to go out and shoot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think a lot of people are confused by the terms 210M and 215M, whether it is completely accurate, or not. The 210M means "match" and when discussing the 215 some use the letter M instead of "Mag". Anyway, that's my theory. But, I do not agree that you absolutely need a magnum primer for 85 grains of powder; maybe in extreme cold weather, and perhaps igniting spherical propellants, but not as a hard and fast rule.

Good hunting. LB

THanks folks. For the most part seeing the 215M designation was pretty much what I was referring to. I appreciate your input and definately will stash it away for future references.

For the most part, just about anywhere we hunt, I can count on one hand the times that it was probably cold enough to actually degredate the loads I was shooting at the time. I actually only know of one time in general that I experienced it, and that was a compressed load of RL-22. Didn't matter though, set that one down and picked up the 25/06 and made the shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again

Mike,

I used the 210M in some light loads with Retumbo to a match once a couple of years ago. What worked fine and gave me a great ES and good accuracy here at home. Didn't work at all up in Tucson.

About a dozen of my rounds went "Poof" and the bullet had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod.

I went back to the Fed215M primers for all of my Magnums and have never had a problem with them not lighting a load.

Just to be clear: The "M" designation in Federal primers (205M, 210M or 215M) designates a match grade primer, not magnum primer. All Federal 215 primers are magnum primers and non of the Federal 210 primers are.In either case, the addition of the "M" designation indicates a match grade primer.

[ QUOTE ]
In the past year or so here I have noted continued references to the Fed 215 but did not always "assume" it was the standard or the mag. Mike/TX

[/ QUOTE ]

VH, Your post is a lot more understandable than mine, it was the above statement that I was attempting to address. But, I really believe that there is some confusion about the letter "M" in Federal primers.

Good hunting. LB

Thanks VH, your exactly right on with what I was referring to. I have been working with a few different loads as of late and will be again soon, which will be using the Fed 215's in one flavor or another. In a couple of rifles I have actually noted a difference, but since most all I have worked with have been off the shelf factory stuff, you seldom see anything that is day and night.

The two 7 mags I will be playing with shortly will both definately let you know what they like and dislike, even though they are OTS as well. They shoot as good as I have seen. Just getting away from some of the more sensitive powders we were using and figured since it was on my mind I would ask.

Thanks again, you folks are a wealth of info.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.