Primers? Powder?

11, members have been warning of this "shortage" for months. Most commercial sources have dried up. Perhaps it's time to load up in the car and take a weekend drive. Hit every small town gunshop you can find. Here we have a network of friends that do this on weekend trips with their family. This has been very productive for us. Best thing is no shipping and sky high hazmat fees.

I can't help but chuckle a little when someone tells me "I think I'm gonna start reloading my own ammo". Then they ask "where can I find primers/powder"? Lol, I warmed them for years about this... If/when it comes available again, prices won't be the same...

Just get on a notification list with a couple of retailers. I've had good luck getting everything from pistol primers to Reloader 26 with a little patience. When you get an email that the item is in stock you have to move within about 2 hours if you want anything though.

I have ran the website train looking for primers, varget, and Reloader 26. I think I may have a better chance at finding a real unicorn. 😔
Its tough out there right now. Good advice offered on road trippin', etc.

I'm waiting on some .264 and .44 bullets myself. Fortunately, I stocked up on components for other guns so I'm not twiddling thumbs on the keyboard.

Good luck!

Its tough out there right now. Good advice offered on road trippin', etc.

I'm waiting on some .264 and .44 bullets myself. Fortunately, I stocked up on components for other guns so I'm not twiddling thumbs on the keyboard.

Good luck!

Laguna, what .264 bullet are you looking for?

There are a couple of companies that let you place a backorder that bills when shipped. I usually don't buy powder/primers from Brownell's/Sinclair but they allowed B.O. on the powder I am using for competition. Since I was running critically low I ordered a couple of 8lb jugs as a backorder from Brownell's a couple of months back. I was notified yesterday that they shipped. The price was not out of line either. IIRC Midsouth Shooter's Supply may also allow backorders.

EDIT- Midway will allow backorders with billing when shipped. Brownell's gave me an 'in stock' notice and I was able to order the 8lb jugs I was looking for 2 mos. ago.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.