Primers? Powder?

I have list in my local gun shop on things to call me about when they come in. Items are coming in a little at a time - got some large rifle primers yesterady, I only buy one - may be two - to "share the wealth. Patience. ANd good luck with the Unicorn.

My LGS which used to have pallets of pistol and 223/5.56 ammo is now empty floor space, and no rifle primers other then CCI for the 50 BMG. They have a lot of bullets from the likes of Sierra, Hornady, Speer and Nosler.... not much from Barnes, or Berger and this place used to have jugs of powder available and as much of anything else in 1 lb containers..... Now it's (2) 1 lb bottle limits.

Last edited:
I can't help but chuckle a little when someone tells me "I think I'm gonna start reloading my own ammo". Then they ask "where can I find primers/powder"? Lol, I warmed them for years about this... If/when it comes available again, prices won't be the same...
Have you seen the prices of ammo that is now 'available'? Prices hacve sure increased. Primers and powder will probably do the same. Saw some guy selling Remington 7 1/2's at $10.00/100. The day of the $20.00 brick are long gone.

I was kind of lucky. I started out with a good supply buying cases of primer and 8# kegs of powder that I use a lot of. Last June one of my club members passed away and his wife donated all his reloading supply's/equipment to the club. I was selling primers at $20/brick, 8# kegs for $100 - and he had a LOT!. Sold two Dillon 550B's for $300 and a Redding Turret press for $100. Dies went for $20 a set and I ended up selling 30 speed loader for $5 just to get rid of them. We all got good deals and still put a good chunk of change in the club treasury. But I am sure glad I stocked up.
My nephew ran into a similar problem on primers. I ended up giving him 5000 small pistol primers (WSP) and 8000 small rifle (5000 WSR and 3000 Fiocchi). But that's what uncles do right?

I've been pretty lucky. I had a pretty good stock already and I have a couple local shops within an hour of me that seem to be getting it somewhere and their not really out of line on prices. I bought a brick of CCI Br2s Saturday for 59.00 and RL 23 was 24 a pound. They did hit me at 32 a pound for RL26

I have ran the website train looking for primers, varget, and Reloader 26. I think I may have a better chance at finding a real unicorn. 😔
You can try looking here: www.gunbot.net. Ther site surveys different suppliers and compiles lists you can search, sort on age or price. If you see a new listing you have to act fast. They don't do unicorns pink or otherwise

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.