Primers: Buy Now or Wait?

DocB

Windsor, VA (but heading for the Rockies)
(Originally posted in components forum)

Howdy All,

Like the rest of you I'm dismayed, frustrated, disappointed, angry at times and suspicious most of the time at the lack of or the incredibly slow return of components to the consumer shelves.

So now I have to make a decision... whether to buy now components that I consider to be non-optimal or to just wait... and wait.

I have been holding out for FED GM215M primers for over a year (as well as H1000 but that's another thread). For whatever reason, they are not showing up. However WinLR and WinLRM are on the shelves and online (Third Gen SS). IMO Win primers history of reliability issues make them less than optimal for LR precision.

But if it comes down to 'it's all there is, use it and suck it up' then my question is, would those of you who use FED GM215M or FED GM215s rather just wait out the drought or use 'what's available'?

Right now, I'm undecided.

Thanks guys,

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

Doc,

Right now im not without and ill tell ya why. You frequent the places where what you need shows up at, ie... Online vendors and local stores and such, and when ya see somethin you "may" need you buy it regaurdless of weather or not you need it right now.

The political spectrum in the country holds too much uncertianty right now and if the dems get the house back there will be no stopin whatever laws or restrictions they wish to pass.... You have not quite 2 years left provided no EO's come down that infringe on our rights even more.

My advice, if you find somethin you may need buy it.

Call it panic buying or what you will, but when the dust settles, youll have components. Or you hold out and possibly miss the boat.

All boils down to the uncertian times we're livin in buddy. Whod of ever thought that 22 ammo was gold, sheez.

Yup, gotta get what ya can !

I have never used WLRM primers, but ended up buying 2 bricks yesterday
do not want to burn up my Diamond Plated Fed 215 primers for fireforming brass

If you can find components that you use, buy them if you need them....In my area some reloading components are becoming a little easier to get.....I don't shoot near as much as I use to but a couple of years back I "laid up" several thousand primers "just in case" of hard times....

I have some loads with Winchester primers and have never had reliability issues with them and have made accurae loads with them. If you work up a load with them, I think you'll do fine.

Primers are starting to show up on shelves including a lot of Federal Match primers at least at our local Cabela's. I didn't pay much attention, but I think there were even 215M primers last time I was there. Of course, the prices were quite a but more than they were pre Sandy Hook.

I think prices will come down but I don't know when. I also can't predict fickle political winds which could prolong the shortage or cause another shortage. So, I would say if you need primers, buy primers.

its tme for me to start loading for crop damage deer shooting and time for waiting is over. I found a couple bricks of fed large rifle mags that arent match that are going to have to be used this year. What makes me more mad then anything is I use them in about a dozen rifles i rotate through during season and im going to have to waste alot of time just veriying that they are still accurate enough and im sure in some cases will have to do some load development shooting to get them exceptable again.

The only difference between a 'match' primer an d a regular primer is the 'match primer was produced with a bit more care by a more experienced machine operator, so I'm told.

Considering every manufacturer is supposedly running 'balls to the wall' I don't believe there is a lack of experienced operators out there..... just say'in.

I think (personally) the difference is in price and box and printing color and thats it....

I have a shitte pile of Federals is all flavors and CCI in 400 SR's for the 223's I load but I want to try something different so I got some Winchester LR's. Shot rounds with everything equal across the chrono and the Federals and the Winchesters were the same.

The only difference I've found is in ML primers (209) where the cup height varies between manufacturers.

Thanks everybody, I'm partial to your assessment Flip.

Believe it or not, just today I found a honey-hole that has primers and powder! I'll tell ya'll where after my darling bride makes a run to pick up my stuff! lol. Only about 30 miles from the house. He doesn't have H-1000 so I'm going to go with IMR 7828 SSC 8# (if she has enough $$ then 16#) and Fed 215s #4000. Don't want to hog, just get enough.

No more gritting and gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair!! :D

I appreciate the help!

DocB

BTW, **** on Cabelas. I won't/don't buy anything there component or firearm wise unless I have the points on my Cabelas card to cover the cost.

One, they are overpriced, two, their sales people don't know squat for the most part and three, my wife always wants to go with me and runs up the charge card with stuff I don't want........:)

Their fudge ain't bad though......

I would agree, they are usually overpriced but the Cabala's card is one of the better credit cards for actually getting a useful kickback on purchases.

Additionally, Cabela's isn't always overpriced. I bought a couple of scopes there a few years ago that were A LOT under what others were chargeing. Then there was the rifle; I priced several local shops and it turned out that Cabelas in West Virginia not only had 3 in stock but had a lot better price. Since then I've seen that model of rifle selling used for several hundred dollars more than I paid on multiple occasions.

Also, you can't beat Cabela's boot socks.

I would agree, they are usually overpriced but the Cabala's card is one of the better credit cards for actually getting a useful kickback on purchases.

Additionally, Cabela's isn't always overpriced. I bought a couple of scopes there a few years ago that were A LOT under what others were chargeing. Then there was the rifle; I priced several local shops and it turned out that Cabelas in West Virginia not only had 3 in stock but had a lot better price. Since then I've seen that model of rifle selling used for several hundred dollars more than I paid on multiple occasions.

Also, you can't beat Cabela's boot socks.

One of the reasons I have a black card..... The others are, Cabelas owns their own bank (Foremost) and issues the cards through them and they are easy to deal with.

Besides, I don't want frequent flyer miles or chinese novelty junk most other cards offer.

I wear Kennetrek boot socks myself. Most of Cabelas outdoor clothing is offshore orign, as in China or Malaysia. Thats not to say that everything Chinese is junk because Kuiu is made in China with Japanese fabrics and I consider Kuiu to be the best. Makes Cabelas top of the line look like bargain basement.

The other thing is you don't find top end stuff at Cabelas like Hillerberg Tents or Kuiu or even Sitka. It's all Cabelas branded and personally, I don't like having the 'Cabela' logo on the frontside or the backside of every piece of outerwear or innerwear I buy. You want to advertise, then give me the garment for free.

ive heard the same thing. Dont know what it is. Maybe just a mental thing but i seem to have better luck with fed match lg rfle mag primers then there standard ones. I also seem to have my best luck with the 22 hornet with cci small rifle bench rest primers. I also know that black powder competitive shoots just love the large rifle match mag federal primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.