powder for a .284 with long barrel

wildcat westerner

Hello,
My gunsmith is finishing a prone rifle for me in .284 with a Bartlein 30 inch, 1 in 9 twist barrel. This weapon is meant for shooting with a bipod and the 160-180 grain bullets are better in dealing with the winds that blow off the high Rockies here. In testing before completion we find that Alliant RE17 shoots the exact same velocity in the 30 inch barrel as it does with a 25 inch barrel using the Hornady Amax bullets.

I am hoping someone using this website has practical knowledge as to which powder gets the maximum utilization of this long barrel, using the 160-180 grain 7mm bullets?

Thank You

H4831 SC is the choice of most F class shooters, velocity will be in the region of 2800-2850 fps with 180's. RL17 will get you too 2900-3000 fps and if you're lucky you will get accuracy with it as well. But H4831 SC will give you shot after shot and lot after lot of powder consistency.

Ian,

Thanks for saving me a lot of time. I have a lot of this powder on hand, but was curious as to how H-1000 might work with the heavy bullets and the thirty inch barrel. What computer programs tell you and what your barrel really responds to can be two different things!

Gene S.

Ian,

Thanks for saving me a lot of time. I have a lot of this powder on hand, but was curious as to how H-1000 might work with the heavy bullets and the thirty inch barrel. What computer programs tell you and what your barrel really responds to can be two different things!

Gene S.

Here is site you can confirm H-4831sc is used by different shooter

Ryan Pierce Sets 450-24X F-Open Record with Home-Built Gun « Daily Bulletin

Record-Setting .284 Win F-Classer

Hello Semper Fi,

Thanks for collecting the exact data I wished to discover concerning the .284 and loading it to benchrest specs. It will be awhile before I get this rifle from the gunsmith, but the rounds will be loaded for it already.

Gene S.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.