Powder for .308 Win with 20" barrel?

Duff

Powder for .308 Win with 20\" barrel?

Reciently bought a Savage FP10 (law enforcement model) with a 20" heavy barrel. Would you guys go to a faster burning powder for the shorter barrel? I planned on trying some Varget with 168 Hornady's. Obviously, I'll let accuracy dictate what I'll end up with, but does it make sense to start with a faster powder, or doesn't it matter much because the .308 isn't overbore? I assume I'll loose approx. 100 fps with the 20 incher vs. a 24" barrel? thanks-Duff

Re: Powder for .308 Win with 20\" barrel?

I did some similar research a while back to determine what would be best for my model 600 Remington. With the information I gleaned I came to the conclusion that powders will not make the big difference with the shorter barrel. The way to be most "efficient" with the shorter barrel was to use a heavier bullet. I would advise Varget and not be to concerned about the velocity loss. I have found short, heavy barrels have a tendency to be very accurate.

Hope this helps.

Alright-cool. I'm not really too worried about velocity loss as this will probably be a 400-500 yard target rifle. Thanks for you imput-I am freak'n geeked to shoot this thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As with everybody else I have had good succes with Varget and bullets in the 150-175gr class
I like H-380 for lighter than 150 and H-4350 for the heavier bullets like 180 or 190
I had a 20" Savage barrel for a while and it liked 190gr Berger VLD's alot better than any 168gr bullets and the 155gr MatchKing Palma's the best , not sure why but it diden't realy care for the 168-175gr pills it was the first and only one I had ever seen like that

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.