Best Powder for .264 & .284

G

I'm just beginning a new build of a 7mm rm, and by now I suppose that everyone knows of my fondness for the .264 wm. I've never loaded for 7mag, and am wondering if there's that much difference between .264 & .284 coming from the same case??? I've looked at a lot of powders, including some very reasonably priced (military powder)and plan to make one HUGE buy from the same lot, so I don't have to continuously play with load development after finishing each 1# container (which happens too often.) My question is, what's your pet powder for these calibers & why. I'd much rather be working on other factors, instead of load development so often. Is military powder as good as name brand? What do you do to remedy this problem??? Since my wife and 2 sons started shooting with me every other weekend, we go through a lot of propellant! Thanks for your experience!

nighthunter264winmag,
I only have experience with the 7 Rem mag. My rifle is a Browning ss stalker. I also load for my hunting buddy he has Sig. Both of these rifles offer the best velocity w/accuracy using IMR7828. In my Browning I had been using RL-22 w/162grn pills. Expecting to try the 160 Accubonds w/the IMR. The load w/IMR is w/140's ballistic tips. The Sig took an antelope at 485 in Wyoming this year and he is not what you would call a marksman, but he is learning, I was proud of him. This powder gave sub MOA groups at 200 yrds. I have yet to take a long range shot w/browning, I always grab my 257 Weatherby.

H-4831 is my favorite. I get very good consistance from the powder. I too am a .264 win mag. I have a about 20 rifles. I will grab the small bore win for annalop and low land mules. It shoots flat and wind does not seem to move the little faster around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.