Poison Ivy - How to Prevent Rash

Muddyboots

Wished I found this earlier this week when working in yard to clean up edges. I washed or thought I did thoroughly but now I see I didn't wash effectively since I have rash🤬🤬🤬

So I know I will be using this method next time and hope it works but sure looks sound in logic.

Link: How to remove urushiol poison ivy oil

I used to get it every time I went hunting. Now I use a product called "IvyBlock". Before I get dressed I put it around my waist, on my arms, ears, neck, and around my ankles. I haven't had the rash in many years.

If IvyBlock is no longer available there is probably another product which will work.

Crossbow kills poison oak well. Especially spray it down in the fall when the it's putting energy into the root system.
Dawn is the best soap for cutting the oils. Alcohol wipes work well in the field or at the truck to remove the oils also.

Did that once wound up in the emergency room 2 days later here the bleach had started killing good cells . Almost had to have a chunk of my leg removed. I wouldn't recommend bleach to anyone again . My leg has what looks like a burn scar on it about 6x 12 in an oval shape due to it

Wished I found this earlier this week when working in yard to clean up edges. I washed or thought I did thoroughly but now I see I didn't wash effectively since I have rash🤬🤬🤬

So I know I will be using this method next time and hope it works but sure looks sound in logic.

Link: How to remove urushiol poison ivy oil
All you have to do is put an ivy leaf in a sandwich, and eat it for lunch. You'll never get it again. My great uncle told me this years ago, sweared he did it. He was a logger all his life, said he got it all the time until he ate the ivy sandwich. He made it to the good old age of 95. I've thought of doing it a number of times, but never had the balls to do it. 😉

Bleach is a powerful oxidizer especially on organic molecules aka SKIN! Absolutely nothing good can come out of using bleach in manner that with access to open wounds aka rash, pustules etc from any skin eruption as result from ivy, oak, sumac etc. Great for surfaces to KILL organic molecules like bacteria and viruses which should tell us what it can do to our skin tissue or muscle molecules. Just read of the Darwinism folks that DRANK bleach for Covid. WTH?

I am new to this forum. After browsing a bit, it looks like some interesting stuff and knowledgeable people on here.

I am very allergic to poison ivy and have had it many times over the years. I have found that washing up with a pumice cleaner like Go-Jo or Fast Orange is the best plan for me. I use it any time I think I have come into contact with the evil vine.

The idea of eating an ivy sandwich scares me a bunch. When I was a teenager a couple friends had a goat. One of the brothers, who was allergic to poison oak, asked his brother, who was not bothered in the least by it, to put the goat in the poison oak on their property. His idea was the goat would eat the poison oak, he would drink the goat's milk, and become immune to the poison oak. It didn't work. He came down with poison oak ALL over!

Poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac. They all get me. Use bleach, but DILUTE it. To get the oil off if I know I have been in or around it or to help dry up the rash/blisters I take a bath with about a cup of bleach in the tub full of water. Scrub with soap of choice.
I have had it all over so bad I had to get steroid shots. Sumac will leave me with blisters.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.