Please help me age this deer

Being originally from Wv myself I would say guess that buck at 2.5/3 years old, Maybe he will get bigger if someone else don't decide to put him on the table, but if he's to your liking I wouldn't take that chance, I would be the one enjoying a great venison meal 😀😀😀 that's a pretty nice buck in Wv.
You can grow bigger bucks on your property but need to do it correctly or it doesn't work. Look into becoming a quality deer management member or some of the videos by Jeff Stergus on deer 🦌 management. That bucks 2 1/2 years old and in WV will never make 3 1/2! Between the brown and down program and the poachers. So if you can't hide him really well shoot him! We need to kick someone in the *** for west by gods horrible deer management!!!🤠

I have to agree on the poor management. I grew up there and do miss W.Va. dearly. I have been one that would shoot a buck no matter. As I got older and moved away, I really do understand. It seems that Pa. may have a program that may work, not real sure. Look what comes out of Ohio. W.Va. could do well. I live in Eastern N.C. now and if this area would get some management going, it could produce some great bucks. Food is out of the roof for good nutrition here and the genetics are good as well. If they would do away with the dog hunting for deer, the bucks would grow. I know that it a Southern tradition, dog hunting for deer, just not this Hillbilly. Genetics are not very good in most areas of W.Va. but there are some big bucks and most of the big ones are older deer. I passed on a larger buck than the one pictured last year in the W.Va. season. Let him grow. At least you will know that you done the right thing. I would say 2.5 year old.

God Bless W.Va.

We can just feed deer better up here. The worst place in west Virginia is great deer feed. So a 2 1/2 looks like a Texas 3 1/2🦌
I was in Texas not long ago and the deer I saw were what I would call shooters and the guy we were with was calling most of them cull bucks or young. There are some monsters in Texas

I'm not sure if this is allowed but I would love some opinions! Will this buck be getting any bigger if allowed to grow for another year??
You've really only provided one pic where you can see whether he has any sway in the back or noticeable belly. Based on that one photo, I'd say he's as young a 3 1/2 no older than 4 1/2. And yes, if he can be salvaged for another year - he'd likely make you a real prize.

I say he is about 20. 20 rolls of summer sausage, 20 lbs of burger, 20 delectable back strap medallions and around 20 beers to get him processed! Send it!

To answer your question, no genetics are pretty bad in this part of the state. WV has AWFUL deer management. Too many people believe if it's brown it's down. I've attached two of the next biggest bucks on cam on the property. We own 600 acres and are trying to build up a strong deer herd and manage on our own however public land borders the property making it difficult. My largest buck to date from the property was 110" and was considered rare big buck. Was about 2.5 yrs and wasn't wider than the ears. It's located middle of the state with litte nutrition so we aren't regularly growing huge deer
Living in your sister state of Virginia I understand the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality. I have been blessed to have hunted all over the US and Canada for whitetails and have owned land in Iowa for 15 years. During this time I've learned from some of the best and gained a lifetime of knowledge.
let me first say that if the deer satisfies u, and makes u happy, then the rest is irrelevant.
But if u are managing for mature bucks and committed to the process you will be in for an amazing and sometimes cruel journey.
The genetics is something beyond your control. Even shooting older bucks with small racks will not impact the observed genetics. Those deer 4.5 or older that have smallish rack should still be taken out for other reasons.
Ive seen so many different bucks go against the norm it would blow your mind.....so nothing about year to year growth is absolute.
In general, if a buck is an 8pt after 3.5, he will always be an 8.....although he may grow some extras and should grow his frame and mass until his peak, which can be 7.5 or 9.5.
From your pic I'd say the buck is definitely 2.5 or 3.5. If I am ever in doubt I assume the younger age.
If the rain and food situation stays the same that buck should get bigger although the noticeable difference may be ever so slight........
With 600 acres you are in a go of position to pass bucks with a good chance of them showing up next yr. If u can recruit some of your neighbors it would be even better.
Set realistic goals and have fun doing it. Pay attention to your doe to buck ratio and keep it in check.
And lastly, the last (and dumbest) reason to shoot a buck is because the neighbor will shoot him if u don't. I've always told my friends that maybe the neighbor misses, or doesn't get a shot......or maybe the one that shoots him is a kid or first time hunter who will be far more excited than u. Good luck.

Living in your sister state of Virginia I understand the "if it's brown, it's down" mentality. I have been blessed to have hunted all over the US and Canada for whitetails and have owned land in Iowa for 15 years. During this time I've learned from some of the best and gained a lifetime of knowledge.
let me first say that if the deer satisfies u, and makes u happy, then the rest is irrelevant.
But if u are managing for mature bucks and committed to the process you will be in for an amazing and sometimes cruel journey.
The genetics is something beyond your control. Even shooting older bucks with small racks will not impact the observed genetics. Those deer 4.5 or older that have smallish rack should still be taken out for other reasons.
Ive seen so many different bucks go against the norm it would blow your mind.....so nothing about year to year growth is absolute.
In general, if a buck is an 8pt after 3.5, he will always be an 8.....although he may grow some extras and should grow his frame and mass until his peak, which can be 7.5 or 9.5.
From your pic I'd say the buck is definitely 2.5 or 3.5. If I am ever in doubt I assume the younger age.
If the rain and food situation stays the same that buck should get bigger although the noticeable difference may be ever so slight........
With 600 acres you are in a go of position to pass bucks with a good chance of them showing up next yr. If u can recruit some of your neighbors it would be even better.
Set realistic goals and have fun doing it. Pay attention to your doe to buck ratio and keep it in check.
And lastly, the last (and dumbest) reason to shoot a buck is because the neighbor will shoot him if u don't. I've always told my friends that maybe the neighbor misses, or doesn't get a shot......or maybe the one that shoots him is a kid or first time hunter who will be far more excited than u. Good luck.
Good points sir. Environment and food supply from year to year vary and quality of racks will as well. I also agree that the more widespread good management practices are in an area the better they will work. One important point for everyone to understand is that while does will often live our their life in a relatively small area, the buck will roam far and wide, especially just prior and during rut. This happens for a number of reasons, most are obvious.

Why shoot 2 yr or older spikes? Has anyone else witnessed a big bodied spike buck whip a buck with a wall worthy rack and breed a waiting doe? I have more than once.

I agree with Bullmark on all accounts . One of the best ways to keep potential trophys on your property is FOOD, FOOD, FOOD . If you give a deer all it needs in a small area and limit contamination of the area, especially a core sanctuary spot , the odds of keeping deer on your place goes up tremendously . As was said above, the rut will likely pull a lot of your buck off the 600 acres, but will bring new blood into your hunting area too.