Pet load for 22-250

I have never had a 22-250 and now have decided to get one. Any recommendations for a pet load would appreciated.
Have you decided which 22-250 to get and know the barrel twist rate? Also what range do you plan to shoot out to with your rifle?

I shoot 50 gr sst with 41 gr of H380 out of a heavy barrel 26 inches

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 165
Well, Ive had Detached Retina surgery on my Right eye this spring, My shooting eye, and cant shoot, But have gotten out reloading equipment from 30 yrs of reloading and started reloading again. Have loaded 3 or 4 K rounds of 9mm, 2- 3 K 45 and now above 2 k 40 sw.
Still working up brass and buying newer goodies for rifles. used to load .243, killing ground hogs at 300 yds, .222 shooting Coyotes, and .270 for deer. I still have those pet loads, and have a lot of rounds loaded for them. I kinda quit loading and shooting for 20 yrs or so. But saw what prices were doing last summer and kinda got me fired up.
I have never had a 22-250 and now have decided to get one. Any recommendations for a pet load would appreciated. I thought I would just load up a few rounds of different recipes and when I can shoot and hopefully have bought a rifle, Kind of looking at a TIKKA, T3x ?? but not definite for now, but will take any recommendations on that as well. Just gives me something I can do until fall when I can shoot again. Thanks
You'll get alot of personal favorites I'm sure. Of them all the .22-250 is my first love, (followed by the .45-70 gov). My sweet little Savage 1:12 loves a Hornady 50 grain. Gives laser-like accuracy past 600 yards. Again, JMO.

If you haven't gotten the rifle yet. Look at what you might want to shoot in the way of bullets. All copper bullets are the rage now days. You will need to get a faster twist to use them. So look before leaping into a rifle. a lot of 22/250 I believe are set up with a 1-12 twist. Copper bullets the twist rate will need to be turned up. My son has one and they are great cartridge. I am from the old school, and shoot a 220 Swift in a 1- 14 twist. I have one pet load for it in a 55gr Sierra SPBT. So the sky is the limit, and good shooting.

First off I hope you get on the mend!

Secondly, the 22/250 is my fav round going. I like one bullet for all from steel, to chucks to deer anteope and elk. I like Varget and a 63 Sierra or 60 Horn either HP or SP for all that moves.

If the rig won't shoot the 63 Sierra and 34 of Varg @ 2.35 the rifle either has some issues and or it's totally freaking stupid! Every T3 I've shot this load in has done sub 1/2" for 3 on demand!
What twist rate is your barrel(s) Dogz?

Well, Ive had Detached Retina surgery on my Right eye this spring, My shooting eye, and cant shoot, But have gotten out reloading equipment from 30 yrs of reloading and started reloading again. Have loaded 3 or 4 K rounds of 9mm, 2- 3 K 45 and now above 2 k 40 sw.
Still working up brass and buying newer goodies for rifles. used to load .243, killing ground hogs at 300 yds, .222 shooting Coyotes, and .270 for deer. I still have those pet loads, and have a lot of rounds loaded for them. I kinda quit loading and shooting for 20 yrs or so. But saw what prices were doing last summer and kinda got me fired up.
I have never had a 22-250 and now have decided to get one. Any recommendations for a pet load would appreciated. I thought I would just load up a few rounds of different recipes and when I can shoot and hopefully have bought a rifle, Kind of looking at a TIKKA, T3x ?? but not definite for now, but will take any recommendations on that as well. Just gives me something I can do until fall when I can shoot again. Thanks
38.5 grains H380, CCI 250 primers, Sierra 55 gr Spritzer

I used two bullets for Yotes that were absolute death for those critters out of my 1-12" twist MkV Wby Varmint Master in 22-250 Rem.

Sierra 60gr HP FB Varmint with (36.0grs) of H-380
Sierra 65gr SPBT Game King with (37.0grs) of IMR 4350

Down the road I went 100% with the 65gr Game King... and never looked back. The 65gr Sierra would tip a Yote over at phenomenal distance.

I'm not sure which powders you have access to so I will list several loads my 22/250 shoots consistently under a half inch or better:

- 35.5 Grains - Varget - Hornady 50 Gr. V-Max - 3650 FPS
- 36 Grains - Benchmark - Berger 52 Gr. Flat Base - 3850 FPS
- 34.5 Grains - IMR 8208 - 52 Gr. Berger Flat Base - 3675 FPS

These velocities are from a 23 inch barrel, 1/14 twist.

As always, start below these loads and work up gradually.