22-250 good for Coyotes??

"I knew a guy who" used 12 grains of norma R1 and filled the rest of the case with tannerite on his 22-250 and was getting 4250 with a 55 grain ballistic tip, primers were a bit flat but no other signs ofpressure.

.243, hybrid bullets, BLAH BLAH BLAH!

The guy asked about the 22/250 but it appears that it's **** nigh impossible to stay on subject!!:rolleyes:

"Thread Drift" is OK as long as it doesn't drift into politics. :)

I am farily sure I'll go with .22-250 for coyotes in a new Ruger American. So far it is, on average of all tests I've seen, one of the most accurate "inexpensive" rifles out there. I wish they made it with a stainless steel barrel so I could get several hundred more rounds from it.

I have some heavier .22 cal bullets I'll load up and see how they like the factory twist.

For sure I'll Fire Lap the barrel as soon as I get it. A smoothly lapped bore just seems to shoot more consistently, plus it fouls up more slowly.

Yeah, really, Tannerite as a load! When I was that I thought to myself "Well, after all, this IS the internet where you can get great banking deals from helpful Nigerians."

Amazing!

:D

Really, R1 and tannerite, his new england arms 22-250, barska tactical scope, trigger job, limb saver harmonic dampening barrel donut, shimmed redfield scope rings, ramline stock shoots 1/4 moa "all day long"! His friend told me. * amusement only, please dont load tannerite or norma R1 in any quantity in a 22-250.

One of my favorite cartridges! I have one in a Rem 700 and another in a Ruger M77 Hawkeye. I use them bothe for yotes and targets and they really are a pleasure to shoot. I live in SE Oklahoma so most of my kills are inside 200 yards but with the 40g Vmax's and 36.9 grains of Varget, kills are instant and no hide damage due to no exit. I've used some 55g soft points but have found that the exit hole ruins too much fur for me. The soft recoil and surgical accuracy of my rifles even has my wife enjoying them! With my handloads, I get one hole groups at 100 yds all day long if I do my part. You won't go wrong with a 250!

I thot I read somewhere that Savage made a 22/250 with a 1-8" twist barrel. . I may well be wrong tho. Anyone know if the 12" twist 22/250 will stabilize the 69 gr match bullet?

I spent many hours on Savage's website comparing specs on their many rifles. The fastest twist they listed for the 22-250 was 1:9. From everything I've read from many different places, it seems the 1:9 twist is more than suitable. I've even seen some that say the 1:9 twist is suitable for the 75 grain Hornady HPBT match bullets & even the 77 grain Sierra Match-Kings.
The 68 grain Hornady HPBT match bullet is impossible to find in stock now. I've been searching for them on Internet for over 6 months.
I've read reviews that some have even used the 77 grain Sierra Match-King in a 1:9 twist. However Sierra appeared to be 25% more expensive than Hornady's similar weight bullets.

The following is from Midwest USA site for the Sierra 69 grain HPBT which do seem to be available at this time:

Ballistics Information:
Sectional Density: 0.196

Ballistic Coefficient: 0.301
Designed for use in barrels with a twist rate of 1 in 7" to 1 in 10". Will not stabilize adequately in barrels with a slower twist rate.

A lot of people have given reviews on these bullets at Midway USA. I suspect 80% of these reviews were when used in the 223/5.56 NATO.

For some reason the 22 caliber Hornadys seem to get slightly better reviews that the Sierras at Midway USA. Go digger.
I already have some 75 grain Hornadys & 77 grain Sierras. It'll be Spring before I have a chance to try them out.

Good luck!

Spencer

I really like my 22-250. It's dropped every yote I have shot, as well as a whitetail doe this year. Pick out a gun you like and a load that the gun likes. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I shoot a .243 for coyotes and want nothing else. OK. My brother has shot, (same rifle) 22-250 since the late 1990's. He has 451 verified kills with it. From day one he has kept a diary on every kill. That diary has accounted for many a, 'late-into-the-night-conversation piece. If you want a 22-250 get one and you will probably never look back.

The Ruger American comes with a 10 twist barrel, which will allow you to shoot up to 69g bullets. I think it would make a helluva truck gun/walkaround varminter. I have shot one in .308 and was impressed with its accuracy. If the 22-250 performs similarly, I think it would be a steal. I am seriously thinking of getting one myself.

ETA: Well, now I am not so sure about the 10 twist. Ruger website says 1:10. I am seeing a lot of internet comments saying that is an error on Ruger's part and the twist is actually 1:14. Don't know what to believe. If it is not 1:10, I would opt for the .223 or the .243 with a 9 twist (hello 105 AMAX!).

One thing you might consider is that the American is also available in .223 with an 8 twist barrel, which will allow you to shoot up to 80 grain bullets. With some of the factory ammo currently available in .223, that would be a heckuva setup, too.

Last edited:
ETA: Well, now I am not so sure about the 10 twist. Ruger website says 1:10. I am seeing a lot of internet comments saying that is an error on Ruger's part and the twist is actually 1:14. Don't know what to believe.

I e-mailed Ruger regarding the twist on the 22-250 American. They confirm that the twist is indeed 1:10. I really want one now...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts