22-250?

Ahunter1171

What bullets are yall guys using and what grain are yall shooting i just bought me one last week in the savage 12fv with 1:12t and 26" barrel me myself am shootn 50gr hornady superformance vmax i havnt really had a chance to shoot it much yet only got to shoot it out to 80 yards and all 4 shots i made ended up in the same hole. So tell me bout yalls 22-250 and how yall like it

I've had a few 22-250s over the years. I've had alot of fun with them. I've never sold one because I didn't like it, just sold the one to a brother to get him in the yote hunting game.

My go to coyote/varmint rifle is a Tikka T3, 22-250. It's deadly accurate and I've put upwards of 1000 rounds through it. It still shoots very well, but not quite the 1/4 MOA it used to do. When the barrel finally goes on it, I'll get a new barrel put on in 22-250 again. Maybe 22-250 AI.

I've got a Shilen barrelled Stevens 200. 26" 1:7" varmint contour. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I plan on shooting the 75gr. Amax through it. Should be a deadly combo.

I shoot mostly the 52gr. Hornady Amax through my factory 1:14" barrel on my Tikka. 50gr. Hornady SP shoot very well also for me. And they work well for my brother in his Browning BLR I sold him.

You bet the Savage is customizeable. Very easily by yourself as well. There are many aftermarket parts available for the Savage rifles. Aftermarket, high quality prechambered/prethreaded barrels are available and barrels can be changed out yourself if you have a few special tools and some knowledge and understanding of headspace and the workings of a rifle.

I've worked on and own quite a few Savage/Stevens rifles and I enjoy working on them.

I know this thread is about the 22-250, but I'm building a couple of 223 AI rifles based on Stevens 200 and Savage 11 actions. One for me and one for a buddy. Using Benchmark barrels. I can't wait to see how they shoot. Should be done by spring.

I am currently loading: Hornady 50gr PSP...pushing it with 35 grams of H4895...seated at 2.37". Tack driver and Yote slobber knocker.

Ahunter1171,
Welcome to LRH. :)

I used to own an older (long action) Savage, in .22-250 with a 26" varmint barrel, that had a 1:12 twist. I had Fred Moreo, of Sharp Shooter Supply, cut 2" off of the end of the barrel and flute it...just to lighten it up a bit. Also, had him install one of his outstanding triggers, which was a great improvement.

Before and after these mods, this rifle would shoot a 1 hole group with a Sierra 52gr. BTHP Match bullet, at 100 yards, using IMR-3031, loaded at 3400 f.p.s. This load despite its' accuracy was changed for a 55gr. Hornady V-Max, due to bullet skips, after pass throughs on varmints.

I moly coated the 55gr. Hornady V-Max, which lowered the chamber pressures and allowed me to step up the load. I used IMR-4064 for a load that had a 3 shot average of 3855 f.p.s. It also attained a 3 shot group of 1 hole at 100 yards and all shots inside a penny at 200 yards.

The groundhogs absolutely loved this load, as they went to pieces over it. :D

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

I am currently loading 35 grams of H4895 pushing a Hornady 50 gr. FMJ SP. It's a slobber knocker on coyotes. Got this guy @ 276 yards....dropped like a rock.
DSC01424copy.jpg

Mines a Ruger I picked up on a trade some years back. I hand load it with 41gr of h380 and 55gr nosler BT at 3850ish. Its a legit .5 rifle with this load. Lots of dead dogs with it. Longest to date is 538. Dropped it dead but I like to get them inside of 400 when possible.
I just put a 6arc together shooting 103's for the longer stuff.

I am currently loading 35 grams of H4895 pushing a Hornady 50 gr. FMJ SP. It's a slobber knocker on coyotes. Got this guy @ 276 yards....dropped like a rock.
DSC01424copy.jpg
Lots of coyotes in Kentucky, shot a dozen outside of Flatwoods last summer, feral dogs are as prevalent, great state, I'll be there in May hunting again.