Pelican vault

MJT700P

Ok so it's time to upgrade my rifle case and I'm leaning towards the pelican vault. Does anyone have any experience with it or have some other suggestions I should look at? I currently have the SKB double rifle case and I wasn't really impressed with it.

I burned my Cabelas points on one. I like it so far, seems very stout. Has nice latches and handles on 3 sides plus the wheels.

I also didn't like butchering the foam, it works fine just looks like crap. I'm no artist! I have it cut for 2 scoped rifles, 2 bipods, suppressor and 1 AICS magazine.

My only other complaint is the lid flips all the way over and lays flat. Not sure why this bothers me but I like the way my SKB opens 90 degrees and that's all. Seems to be a very good case all in all

Thanks guys for the feedback. My skb does not close tightly on the ends even with the four latches on the front closed. I was hoping the pelican would be a little more dust and water proof.

I use new, snap blade box cutter knife blades, fully extended from the handle to cut the foam inserts.

I burned my Cabelas points on one. I like it so far, seems very stout. Has nice latches and handles on 3 sides plus the wheels.

I also didn't like butchering the foam, it works fine just looks like crap. I'm no artist! I have it cut for 2 scoped rifles, 2 bipods, suppressor and 1 AICS magazine.

My only other complaint is the lid flips all the way over and lays flat. Not sure why this bothers me but I like the way my SKB opens 90 degrees and that's all. Seems to be a very good case all in all
next time try cutting the foam with an electric fillet knife. You will be an expert in short order, with factory style results.

I love my pelican storm. I had the smith who made my rifle cut out the foam specifically for my rifle/scope combo. He did such an awesome job. Thank goodness I was smart enough not to butcher it up. Built like a tank.

I got one of the surplus Hardigg cases. They are a little expensive but they are
super tight and very strong. They hold a bunch of stuff!
I have to put it in my truck then fill it. Too heavy otherwise.

Last edited:
I bought a vault series double rifle. The only reason I made the purchase is because it was the only case I could find that was long enough for my Ruger precision magnum. Seems well built, but my SKB seems like it would hold up better if you were dragging it behind your pick up at high speeds on a dirt road, not that I'm saying your into that kind of thing.

After the airlines broke two less expensive cases I got the Pelican Storm. I couldn't be happier with it.

Not Carl but "Storm" series are the old Hardigg-brand military grade cases after Pelican bought Hardigg. The Storm cases are designed to have the crap beat out of them. (Ever see Air Force load handles throw cases out of a C-130 straight to the runway?) The regular Pelican cases aren't quite as tough but work fine from my experience with both. The Vault cases are supposed to be built to the same specs as the regular Pelican (not Storm) cases but I have no personal experience with the Vault series.

And if you really want good looking and well protecting foam, try MyCaseBuilder.com. You can use the denser PE foam for guns and have a smaller edge margins and dividers than the standard ester-type foam that comes in most cases while having as good or better protection.

Ok so it's time to upgrade my rifle case and I'm leaning towards the pelican vault. Does anyone have any experience with it or have some other suggestions I should look at? I currently have the SKB double rifle case and I wasn't really impressed with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts