Air Travel With Pelican Case

Ingwe

Not sure which forum to post this in fellas but I am just wondering if you guys remove your bolt from the rifle (and store it in a separate cut-out) before laying it the rifle into the foam cut-out.

I'm worried that TSA could somehow lose it if they open my case, after my inspection with them, without me being present.

Whatdaya say?

I haven't taken it out but I have encountered varying requirements by TSA at different airports, though none have ever mentioned needing the bolt to be out. Is there a reason for taking the bolt out when traveling?

TSA rules do not state the bolt must be removed from the action, but I would and tie it down separately to prevent it being a hard spot and breaking or bending your firearm.

My 2 cents worth. I don't trust TSA from damaging my firearm if they can.

Larry
Tinkerer

Thanks fellas and I should have mentioned that my reasoning for taking the bolt out of the rifle is so the rifle lays flatter, and so that the protruding bolt knob might contact the case if the case is banged around by baggage handlers

Not sure which forum to post this in fellas but I am just wondering if you guys remove your bolt from the rifle (and store it in a separate cut-out) before laying it the rifle into the foam cut-out.

I'm worried that TSA could somehow lose it if they open my case, after my inspection with them, without me being present.

Whatdaya say?

TSA shouldn't have access to your firearm without you present. I don't use TSA approved locks - I am the only one with keys and use some heavy masterlocks to lock the gun up. I fly with guns all the time, and have never had an issue. They ask me to wait while TSA runs it through the scanner and then once they give me the OK, it is expected that they don't need to inspect it any further.

+1 for leaving the bolt in. The case/foam tension will keep it closed. I always thought that they would place these cases with the golf clubs, skis, etc,. that come out on the taller upright carousel, but noooooo, they just flop out with the regular luggage.

TSA actually requires you to NOT use TSA locks on a gun case, you MUST be present anytime a gun case is opened, and you are the only one that has access to the keys to the padlocks on the case. Make sure you read both the TSA rules and rules for transporting firearms from your particular airline carrier as carrier rules can differ from 1 to the other.

TSA shouldn't have access to your firearm without you present. I don't use TSA approved locks - I am the only one with keys and use some heavy masterlocks to lock the gun up. I fly with guns all the time, and have never had an issue. They ask me to wait while TSA runs it through the scanner and then once they give me the OK, it is expected that they don't need to inspect it any further.

This should be the ONLY advice for traveling with a firearm. Never use TSA approved locks, as that allows anyone access (you can buy TSA approved lock master keys online). If you use locks that only you have access to, then you have no need to worry because you are still with your firearm while it's being inspected, as noted above.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.