Past Recoil Shield.....

41mag

Ok, I admit it, I have been ruined by the brake on my Allen MAg.

Now thats out, I have a Ruger 77 chambered in 280 that has the original hard rubber butpad on it. TRying to work up loads with the heavier weight bullets just sucks to be honest.

Do any of you have much exoperience with the Past Recoil Shields? IF so how well do they knock the felt recoil down?

I don't need it to hunt with only to work up loads from the bench. With the heavier bullets, it gets a bit much after getting frogged a couple of times by that solid pad.

THanks

If you're talking about the pad that straps on over your shirt, they work pretty well. I bought one for my wife to use when she is shooting the 7mm Rem Mag at the range.

An easier/cheaper solution that I've used in the past is a shotbag full of sand, standing between your shoulder and the recoil pad on the gun; it really spreads the jolt out and is basically free. I know its low tech and a bit "shade tree mechanic" but heh?

Hope this helps,
Don

Hey Don,

10-4 on the sand bag, I have used that one many a time. I even have a couple I built out of some vinyl that I keep around for just that purpose. I just have a habit of leaving them at the house when I head to the country. I was just looking for something thinner, that I could keep in the case or my cleaning box.

I don't mind the recoil just ain't got much paddin up there around that shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike, if you don't like the straps, cut them off & sew some velcro on the top & bottom tabs. Put matching velcro strips on the inside of your hunting/ shooting coat & you can put it in or take it out at will. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks BB, I did several searches and came up with just about every thread but that one or "Sorry nothing matches your ....

I will definately check into both. Most likly I will pick up one of the shoulder ones first, since I can get one right around the corner. Thanks again for the info.

Speedbump,

Since about 90% of my shooting from the bench is while wearing a tee shirt, and in warm weather, I will have to work with the straps, not a big issue, In the field, shooting is not a problem with any of the rifles I have, and I hardly ever notice the recoil. There are times however when a quick shot presents it's self that I don't get things squared quite right that they get my attention, but I can work through one or two shots. It's the 10+ back to back that seem to creep up on me. Thanks .

I just always have a smith install a sims or decell pad, it doesn't hurt nothing when ya don't need it, and ya can't leave it at home.
JS

+1 on the Limbsaver recoil pad. I did some load testing for a friend this summer on his 6.5 lb .30-06.... and I am a sissy. I bought a slip-on limbsaver and was amazed how much felt recoil it reduced. After my friend picked the rifle up and shot it with and without the pad, he bought one himself... (I kept mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

THanks for the info folks. I would have already replaced the pad but just felt like keeping the rifle basically stock.

All would have been well if I hadn't checked on the the rifle through Ruger and found out they only made a limited number with the bull barrel in this caliber. Since then it has mostly just sat in the corner of the safe. I figured that since it was just sitting there I might as well shoot it or swap it off, and figured it would swap better with a group and load to show for it's self. I had a load years back when I first got it that was consistantly under 1/2" but through the years have lost track of that data. I am also the world worst at letting go of a firearm. I sold a Ruger 22-250 Varminter last year ot help finiance the A.M. and that rig was an awesome shooter.

I know everything but the powder and charge weight and have narrowed it down to three different loads I have noted. Just no notes on which one shot the tiny groups. Of course the lots of powder I had themn are long gone so it is sort of back to the drawing board.

I will pick up of the Past's this weekend and if it doesn't work out I will go with the Limbsaver. I only ned it for this particular rifle and hopefully I might find the load in the next couple of weekends so IO won't need it at all. Just load up a ton of rounds and hunt with it.

I have been using one for at least 10yrs when shooting from the bench, would not shoot my "larger" rifles with out it. Funny thing tho, I broke mine about 3 yrs ago. Shooting in really cold temps with it on my exterior and the pad inside broke clean in half. Always wondered if PAST would warranty a product failure like that. Maybe someday when I am really bored, I check into it. Point being it still works great, broke..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.