recoil pads

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by easton19, Mar 4, 2006.

1. easton19

easton19 Member

I am going to replace the recoil pad on my Winchester Laredo with either a Limbsaver or a HiViz xcoil pad i have no experience with either any help would be appreciated thanks chad

2. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

I put a Limbsaver on my son's rifle, it's great. Those grind-to-fit pads are a little tricky if you have never done one before. Freeze it and use a bench mounted belt sander for the best results.

3. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

[ QUOTE ]
    Freeze it and use a bench mounted belt sander for the best results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wished you would have posted that a year ago. I put on a grid to fit to be able to keep the extra wide width on a bit of a kicker of a rifle. Looks like heck. Now, I'll get a new one and do the freeze thing. Thanks a bunch.

easton19,

Had a Decelerator on the above kicker of a rifle. Things weren't good. Added some weight and that helped. The Limbsaver made the real difference. I would highly recommened them. And with Crane's technique the grind to fit would increase that recommendation.

4. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

if anyone cares...the R3 pads are made by limbsaver, they are the same thing, but usually a little cheaper....

5. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

Those Limbsaver pads are so soft, almost impossible to grind and if you press to hard the sander might take a big chunk out of your expensive pad and ruin it. Freezing works great, the harder it is the better it grinds. I found myself re-freezing a few times. I think the heat from the friction tends to thaw it out rather quickly.