Part 4 Good Results. Which copper solvent cleaner do you think will work best?

Which one do you think will work best?

• Total voters
Next day…
Some are changing colors

Attachments

• IMG_5011.jpeg
    IMG_5011.jpeg
    302.9 KB · Views: 65
Here are the results. I'm not for sure why there wasn't a more substantial reduction in the weight of the copper bullets. Open to suggestions or recommendations.

Intriguing.

I suggest you try FMJ bullets and/or Barnes TSX. I think Barnes typically has softer copper and you may see a more pronounced change?

Did you weight the cups with solvent the first go? It'd be interesting to see which solvent evaporates faster.

Perhaps you could do a smear test with the bullet. Use it like a crayon and see if the copper broke down at all. Maybe on butcher paper?

What did I learn from this test? You can increase the weight of your match bullets by storing them in solvent.
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

does the solvent lose its "zing" when exposed to air that long?
is the copper bullet in an anaerobic environment, submerged, and not getting the same reaction chemically?

I have zero clue if any of that would matter.
just a thought.?

does the solvent lose its "zing" when exposed to air that long?
is the copper bullet in an anaerobic environment, submerged, and not getting the same reaction chemically?

I have zero clue if any of that would matter.
just a thought.?
Im no chemist and I didn't stay at a Holiday inn either. But I would think it would have to have some oxygen for the chemicals to react.

When you test gold and silver for karat/purity you don't place the entire item in the solution you scuff the metal on a grind stone and test the particles left behind. Maybe that would be a better test? Thanks for your effort/test

I have been doing some reading, and it seems like you need oxygen or air for the copper solvent solution to work better. That's why some say use a nylon brush even though nylon isn't going to scrape the copper out it creates air bubbles and that helps the solution break down the copper.

Ethanol effect on cartridge brass.

*NOTE -28 DAYS.* Time & Temperature?

The test fluids selected for this investigation were Fuel C, CE10a, CE17a, and CE25a. Fuel C was
selected as the control since it is representative of premium gasoline and is a standard test fluid widely
used for studying material compatibility to gasoline. Google- E15 effect on cartridge brass.
full.jpg

Recent Posts