Wolves - These pictures will make you think...

Do they make a double shoulder holster so you could have one of these under each arm?

Two polymer framed 9mm autos with 19+1 capacity ...

index

9mm probably not big enough for a pack of dogs like that though, huh?

Seriously, what precautions do you take while hunting in this country?

Honestly I don't know that you need to take anything with you in wolf country. I have run across wolves twice while hunting. Both times I saw them while I was on a ridge. I came down off the ridge to get a closer look and if you could put dye in the wind you could confirm than when they smelled me they were gone in a flash. Once was cool because I could feel the cool breeze on my face and about 45 seconds later two wolves heads popped up and they were gone. I never felt threatened. I have felt more threatened by my neighbors dog.

I have come back to camp late at night and heard them howl and I have not felt threatened.

So those pictures didn't make me think of being attacked but it did make me think of all of the stories I have heard about declining moose populations and in some areas elk populations. Wolves need to be hunted - that's for sure. I hope we start seeing some seasons open soon.

I live and hunt in one of the hot spots for wolves in MT and this year we were followed out of the mountains by wolves twice. Once by a pack of eight, they new full well what we were and how to stay out of range. I have never packed a rifle or pistol for bear but have done so for wolves.
People see them more and more in and near sub divisions. The federal trapper here now kills more wolves than coyotes. They push thousands of elk down onto private ground causing all kinds of problems. One rancher this year had 18 lambs killed 300yds from the main yard in one night, not one was eaten, two days later he shot one wolf and and one got away. They do not kill before they eat and ranchers find animal still alive that need shot.
Another rancher had his family dog attached in the yard and killed, Fish and Game called it an "isolated incident" and would not issue the owner a kill permit because it was a pet not a working animal. He has young kids who play in this same yard.
They are a very serious situation. I do believe they have a place and should be here but they need managed.

I live and hunt in one of the hot spots for wolves in MT and this year we were followed out of the mountains by wolves twice. Once by a pack of eight, they new full well what we were and how to stay out of range. I have never packed a rifle or pistol for bear but have done so for wolves.
People see them more and more in and near sub divisions. The federal trapper here now kills more wolves than coyotes. They push thousands of elk down onto private ground causing all kinds of problems. One rancher this year had 18 lambs killed 300yds from the main yard in one night, not one was eaten, two days later he shot one wolf and and one got away. They do not kill before they eat and ranchers find animal still alive that need shot.
Another rancher had his family dog attached in the yard and killed, Fish and Game called it an "isolated incident" and would not issue the owner a kill permit because it was a pet not a working animal. He has young kids who play in this same yard.
They are a very serious situation. I do believe they have a place and should be here but they need managed.

The same way they were managed 100 yrs ago in the lower 48.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.