Part 4 Good Results. Which copper solvent cleaner do you think will work best?

Which one do you think will work best?

• Total voters
Here are the results. I'm not for sure why there wasn't a more substantial reduction in the weight of the copper bullets.
You have to figure how little copper you actually removed from those to make the solvent change colors. It was minuscule. I imagine it was less than a tenth. Who knows?

@Justice1327 I am not sure what your self-generalization is, but to me, your test results thus far seem to indicate they are all considerably mild on the subject bullet. I see nothing wrong with it because I personally use a bronze brush before I use any solvents. Thanks again for your time and efforts.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting I mic them?
I'm not sure what I'm suggesting. I think you need more time to see a noticeable change. Sticking a micrometer in them might be an idea though. Then you can see if the diameter changed. Or a scale that is more precise.

I think the added weight is from solvent stuck in the hollow point. Like someone earlier mentioned, an FMJ would be ideal.

@Justice1327 I am not sure what your self-generalization is, but to me your test results thus far seems to indicate they are all considerably mild on the subject bullet. I see nothing wrong with it because I personally use bronze brush before I use any solvents. Thanks again your time and efforts.
Maybe, comparing the colors of the bullets is a viable option? I know that is totally subjective and wouldn't provide a fully conclusive result but it's something to determine how much copper was removed. Maybe leave them in there for a year (or more) and see which one leaves just a lead core. lol. I really am not sure how to come to an objective conclusion.

Maybe, comparing the colors of the bullets is a viable option? I know that is totally subjective and wouldn't provide a fully conclusive result but it's something to determine how much copper was removed. Maybe leave them in there for a year (or more) and see which one leaves just a lead core. lol. I really am not sure how to come to an objective conclusion.
I do not know anyone or any of the solvents recommending leaving them on the barrels for a week. I, for one, have never left it for over 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I do not know anyone or any of the solvents recommending leaving them on the barrels for a week.
Agreed.

I haven't used all of the super copper solvents. I do have Barnes CR-10 though and they recommend a quick turn on swabbing out of the barrel. Says it right on the side of the bottle. If you didn't get everything out in one try than repeat the process until no more copper shows on your patches. Then, they recommend applying oil to the barrel.

I do not know anyone or any of the solvents recommending leaving them on the barrels for a week. I, for one, have never left it for over 30 minutes.
Oh I know, I'm just thinking of a way to actually see what is "dissolving" the most copper. I've never left anything in a barrel for more than 5 minutes.

@Justice1327, I've had good luck with the Hoppes Copper Terminator. I clean with that and Butch's Bore Shine. Typically I don't seem to get much color change on the patches with Butch's but then run a patch with the Copper Terminator and then brush and the patches come out blue. That's one that I'd like to see tested. I've always had really good luck with the Hoppes Elite like of products for removing carbon and copper.

I think the solvent test would be more realistic if it was performed on trace copper like found in a fouled barrel versus a solid chunk/bullet. Again similar to the acid test for precious metals.
The OP used 7 solvents. How do you propose to have all 7 barrels fouled the same way? Perhaps you can do it and share it to all.

The OP used 7 solvents. How do you propose to have all 7 barrels fouled the same way? Perhaps you can do it and share it to all.
I think he means to "shave" off a little bit of copper, then put that in the solvent. You'd need a scale that can measure much lower weights.

If you are familiar with testing precious metals it is easy. You scuff a small amount of metal onto a small course stone, you could easily us the same bullet/copper to scuff onto the same stone. Then you could introduce the copper removing/cleaner to the copper on the stone and see if there was a difference in time or if it even dissolved the copper. Very similar to testing precious metals. it is a simple test. You do not need seven Barrels or even a container full of solvent. I have no desire to do this test just making a suggestion that shortens and simplify s the process and lead to visible results.

Last edited: