Pack Goats

These alpine breeds are very long legged and very strong. Ive heard of some breeders playing around with some boer alpine crosses, but for the most part packers steer clear of boers, nubians, angoras, and of course all the mini breeds. As big and strong as my alpines are, I still prefer my oberhaslis, they are a little smaller in stature, but make up for it in temperment and agility.

Hey thanks for the post thats really interesting and something that i might consider if i get to that corner of the country.

I dont know any goat packers near Jackson. Im about an hour and a half away if you want to come rent mine. Send me a PM if you want to chat.
sent you a pm without response,quite sometime ago...very interested about the use of a few of you goats next year... thanks,,,,,,

I just sent you a PM, Im sorry you didnt get my response a couple weeks ago, I had tried to send it to the email address you had given me, but I guess it didnt go through. I am new to this forum thing, so if you dont get my PM tonigt, just let me know.

PS, I just got back from a trip with several of my goats. I took a local guy who does a television show here in Eastern Idaho called Jared Scott Outdoors. He had never hunted around goats and I offered to take him out. There were only a couple areas open until Oct 31st, so we picked one over in the Sawtooths. We ended up in some really prime mule deer country, and made it back in about 4 miles. We only had 2 days and 1 night before the end of our hunt, but we ended up seeing nearly a dozen bucks and 30 or 40 does. One of the bucks was a real nice shooter, but we couldnt ever quite get a good shot on him. Jared and I both ended up getting our bucks, and both were mature deer, his a nice little five by three and mine a 4x4. Neither were trophys Im sure by your standards, but considering the limited time we had, and that neither of us are usually able to put much time into deer hunting (we are both archery elk hunters at heart) we felt we did okay, and they were both certainly larger than the young 4points and 2points all my other hunting buddies settled for this year. We took 5 goats with us, which packed all of our camping/hunting gear and hauled out the two boned out deer. We only had to put about 35-40 lbs on each of the goats, so we could have done it with four if necessary. There will be an episode about our excursion either this coming sunday night (news Channel 6, 10:30 PM) or next sunday I believe.

Packgoatguy,

Way to go!

Jared is a good guy.

Tape the show or whatever needs to be done w/Jared to be able to distribute the footage .....would be really sweet if it can be brought about.

Can't get that show in SLC :rolleyes:

Jared's video clip page isn't working, at least on my 'puter.:rolleyes:

I emailed him about the problem and look forward to seeing you and your "friends" in action.

Just found this post, It is a great ONE! I have 2 oberhasli/alpine that I use for elk hunting and I'll try and post some pics. I got them trained to ride in the jet boat! We get to access some very remote country that a horse or mule could never get to.

Thats awsome; how big is your jet boat? Ive got a little 16 ft jet boat, but its pretty narrow, and Id be worried about them rockin the goatboat (ha ha) Its good to know that Im not the only guy who uses his obers for elk hunting in Idaho.

pack goat guy, how big are your obers? mine are only about 33''-34'' at the shoulder and I am hoping they will grow a little more. both of them are a year and half old.

I think thats about the right size for the obers, definately not the biggests on the breeds. Although my two hornless ones are a little taller, maybe 36, my horned ones are about 34-35.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.