pack questions

Discussion in 'Backpack Hunting' started by jason7, Mar 20, 2014.

1. jason7

jason7 Member

hello everyone,

I've tried searching for my answer, but haven't quite found it. I am considering a pack with a scabbard built in, like on the eberlestock packs.
    Has anyone had any issue with turrets getting turned or twisted by pulling the rifle out or sliding it back in?
    I like the idea of the fully enclosed scabbard vs the exposed, like on the badlands. it seems I cant really go wrong with either manufacturer.......

thanks, Jason

2. ElwoodUT

ElwoodUT New Member

I use my Horn Hunter Full Curl Pack and while hiking in I just put my gun in a Browning gun sock before hooking it to my pack. Seems to have worked well so far.

3. jason7

jason7 Member

I was looking at the gunrunner.they advertise it that you can have quick access to your rifle and i was worried about my turrets getting twisted upon removal from the scabbard......

4. machiavelli

machiavelli Well-Known Member

I use a mystery Ranch pack for hunting the tops it hasn't got a full scabbard but that is just extra weight the gun is fully secured, but more importantly it is the most comfortable pack I've ever used making the Eberlestock I had redundant.

5. Wyodog

Wyodog Well-Known Member

I have had my turrets move in the gunrunner II pack.

6. jason7

jason7 Member

I was hoping i was just over thinking it on the gunrunner style scabbard. Wyodog, do you still use your pack since youve had this happen?

I need to look at the MR packs. ...

7. Wyodog

Wyodog Well-Known Member

It has Ben my experience that turrets are prone to move from time to time. I've had it happen and not only in my pack scabbard. I still use the gunrunner on day hunts and for coyote hunting. I check my scope settings every time I shoot my rifle regardless of how I am carrying it only take a second to do so. I have pulled my rife from the scabbard hundreds of times and it is only a couple of times that one of the turrets moved but it does happen. BTW I am using a vortex viper pst scope.

8. jason7

jason7 Member

That's what I needed to know. Time to order my pack, thank you for your input!