Pack selection

Twisted300Win MAG

im planning my first backpack hunt. First trip will be 5 days in eastern Montana. I am looking for advise/opinions in any of theses packs. I'v narrowed it down to
Kuiu icon 5200
Eco mountain K2 5500
Mystery Ranch metcalf
Pros/cons?
Any input would be great
Thanks
Donald

EXO if it is in your budget. Had the Kuiu- great value for what it costs, really hard to beat. Love the layout and the empty packweight. But a Kuiu loaded down is like sitting in a hard plastic school chair, put the same load in an exo and its like being in a lazy boy.

The empty weight of the Exo is heavier... but the ride is impossible to beat.

I have a Metcalf and absolutely love it. It is a great pack that I use on every hunt. I love the layout and the easy access to all of the compartments. I can't speak to any of the other packs, but I can tell you this. I won't be finding out how the other packs are because I am 100% satisfied with my Metcalf.

Check out the video the GoHunt guys put together on pack durability.
BTW, I am in the Mystery Ranch Metcalf corner.

I just got and exo 5500 pack and mounted it to my kifaru hunter frame. The bag layout is so simple and compresses very well compared to my emr ii. With my body type the kifaru frame is very comfortable, I just wasn't a huge fan of the bag I purchased, Which by the way will be going up for sale soon.

I've been using the Metcalf and have been thoroughly impressed with their packs. I own 3 MR packs and use them probably about 80-90 days/ year and can say that I have yet to have a major complaint with any of them. I tried a couple other brands and came back to MR. Packs are about like boots, try a few and see what works for you. A top quality pack can definitely make a rough hunt more tolerable.

My vote is exo. Very comfortable, packs weight great and compresses down when you don't need the space.

My next will be an exo. I've packed on an icon 5200 and it was alright, empty pack weight was nice. Packed my last bull with a Markhor elk mtn and it broke straps loaded down and about killed me.

Broke me from crap packs right then and there! Cabelas workers laughed and gave me my money back for that blood soaked ***

I own a kuiu Icon Pro with 3200 and 7200 bags and a Kifaru duplex hunter with a Fulcrum bag. The weight of the kuiu is nice and I like the belt but it is not the load hauler the kifaru is. If I am going in with several days worth of gear during rifle season and expecting to come out heavy there is no question I am taking the Kifaru. There is a big difference in the load hauling ability and durability between the two. The Kifaru is heavier but bombproof. Early season archery wanting to go light and fast the kuiu is nice but when I kill something I like to load it up heavier than the frame can support. Keep it under 60 lbs and it works fine.

Mystery Ranch. I do not have the Metcalf as I do not do any overnight hunts, however I have the Pintler and absolutely love it!

2nlsd2s.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts