Pack Goats

That is about the coolest thing I've seen...never even heard of them before :)

edge.

Thanks for the post and pics!
I have been researching this for the last few months, and I'm taking the plunge.
I should have two or three hitting the ground in the next week.
A friend had a nanny, and got her bred for me.
Tell me more about the training, and equipment please.
I need more information and equipment sources.

I need to talk to the NM agme and fish regarding their stance on pack goats in bighorn and ibex country. Not planning on going to bighorn country soon, but maybe I'll draw someday.

For anyone who questions this I am telling you this is the real deal. Pack goats are everything these guys are saying plus they are low impact on our much overused backcountry. Horses and cattle are very destructive to the fragile environment. Goats are not. I have been on a few trips using goats myself.

About 20+ years ago I had the pleasure of meeting the guy who started goat packing and brought it to the world at a hunting show in Utah. It must have been around 88-90 time frame at maybe the RMEF convention or the big mule deer show. I spent quite a bit of time with him learning about the goats. As time went by I forgot his name but would like to make contact again. If any of you would know of this guy could you please give me some contact info.

WOW, this post brings back a lot of memories. Though I raised them and milked them, I never thought about packing them.
Very Cool.

Neal

Great post. I had already planned on raising some goats for meat/milk on our 24 retirement acres in western NM and now I know I'll have a small herd for the hunting pack in too...Thanks again.

WOW pack goats, who woulda thunk. Those seem like the perfect answer for non-horse people like myself. I like those big white ones! To bad there isnt someone in Eastern Washington that would rent them so I could "test drive" one. IS THERE???

I am an avid horse and mule packer. Nothing better than a backcountry hunt with a comfortable camp.

My wife, on the other hand, is an avid backpacker. Having run into llamas several times on the trails, she's been interested in trying them.

I also hunt a lot of country a horse just can't go. I think those goats are fantastic! I'm going to have to try it now! The kids would love them too!

Thanks for the thread.

I have been looking at getting two my self .

any idea where in N Utah i can get some ?

Thanks RobK .

Great Thread!!! But you are giving away my secret - I packed with llamas for years and switched a few years ago to packgoats - and never looked back. They are like taking a super friendly dog with you - and they pack 50 lbs of your gear. I currently have 6 packers I use in Northern California and every year for elk in Colorado - they are great.

Anyone who would like more information - you can PM me - I would be happy to help. Google "packgoat" and you will get a ton of info. Butthead Packgoats has great saddles and panniers - after much research and trial - I have all Butthead gear!

Packgoats...who'd of ever thought goats would haul packs around and behave. The only goats I'm familar with are the ones that you feed then get head butted. Sounds like it works really well versus horses...too much upkeep and expensive.

I read this thread for the first time many months ago. I still think it is one of the most cool things we can do as a hunting trip. Take goats as help for backpacking, AWESOME. Real cool, the only tough part is training them and keeping them in good shape all year long, and well behaved all year long. It sure is a very interesting method of transporting weight, equipment and game for long backpacking trips.
I have used a little donkey I have as help, and horses also, but goats, never, until this thread never even thought about it.
Thanks for sharing, it is really interesting, and nice pictures.
Have you guys done any more backpack hunts with goats after you posted this thread for the first time?

This isn't me but its typical.

Pack can weigh as much as 80 pounds depending on size and type of goat.

Oh, and after a couple of days in the mtns they begin to not smell so bad.:)

MansBestFriendcp.jpg

Bucks are used for breeding and are very, very stinky - and give all the goats a bad name. You don't pack with bucks - you pack with wethers (a nuetered male). The wether does not stink at all - all my boys smell better than my black labs I take hiking with me.

You do not need to tie them up at night- they will just hang out and sleep next to your tent - or in the tent if you leave it open.

Every new "packgoat" hunter I take it amazed at how well the goats do - no lead lines - you just walk - and they follow. Gives you a buddy to talk to along the way and helps to break up the "death march" hikes into the deep backcountry.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.