PAC-NOR Polygonal super match barrel 8 Twist .224

reed mosser

I have been working with this super match polygonal barrel for about a month and i'm to point that im done wasting powder and bullets on this tomato stake. It has a rough bore tight spots and isn't any easier to clean than any other barrel. Velcioty isn't any better and accuracy sucks. It chambered for a 22 dasher shooting laupa brass neck turned on a trued action that is proven to be accurate and nightforce scope. This barrel is worse than most than most factory tubes. It is a 3/4 to 1 moa barrel. It will shoot 2 or 3 shots before spraying them all over the place. I am going to call Pac-nor on monday and e-mail them to see what they will do. I think it was Dave Wilson who posted about a bad Pac-Nor Polygonal barrel, when i read his post I had a bad feeling because I already ordered the barrel. I should of known better but i'm a glutton for punishment. From know on all of my barrel will be benchmarks because they shoot and you talk directly to the owner. I am very dissapointed in this barrel for $240 it should be top notch, a krieger,hart,ect is only $30 more.n Im sure that their are many shaw and factory tubes that but this one to shame. I 'm going to call on Monday and if they don't make good on this tube I wouldn't advise any one to buy one of their barrels. I wait and see what happens

I had a pac-nor polygonal super match 9 twist 7mm that would not shoot any better than 1 1/2 moa. I tried fast powders,slow powders,light bullets,heavy bullets, it just did not make a difference. It was the worst barrel i ever had.

Reed please let us know the outcome of your call to Pac Nor. I was thinking of ordering one of their barrels at some point, and customer service is very important. I will certainly stay clear of a Polygonal barrel.

Frank D

Reed

Sorry to hear your dissapointments. I along with d-a went through hell on one of their barrels. If you follow the link posted by d-a you'll understand it better.

I have a Lothar Walther polygonal rifled barrel here and it shoots great and it was cheap also at 175 for a 26 inch 1.25 dia tube. I turned it myself to appx 1 inch muzzle dia and its on a win m70. It loves the Berger 186, 175, and 190's and will print between the 100 and 200 yard marks bughog sized groups at 300 they open up to a little under .5 inches.

I would recommend Lothar Walther if youre wanting a poly rifled barrel.

So far I've counted three instances where Pac-Nor has put out some ****** tubes thats enough to warrent never using them again. I can understand one instance but now three people on here have had problems with their barrels.

I havent read any of Shilen, Lilja, Broughton or for that matter any other rifle barrel manufacture that has had three negative hits on them.

Good luck dealing with Chris, he didnt want to eat a 400 dollar barrel d-a got even when I rockwelled it at 23 when its supposed to be 28.

I am going to call on Monday, but im not to worried about it. If they burn me on this barrel i will make sure that they lose more money than me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i might get burned for one barrel, but when you post your results here, precision hunting, benchrest. com. Thousands of shooters know whats going on , they might of burned us on three barrels but in the long run it cost them more than us. In this sport it is all reputation. With out you don't have anything. I let you know what they say. It is just amazing that they are all polygonal barrels. You would think that they would fix the problem. Thanks for your help it makes me feel better that there are a few of us that had the same experience.

Not to question the skill of your smith, but a friend of mine had a rifle that wouldn't group worth a darn. It had a krieger barrel so he figured it had to be something else. He sent it to our smith and received it back 2 weeks later with the barrel 2 inches shorter. But the chamber is straight now. From the posts here it sounds like a Manufacturing issue, but you might double check everything just to be sure before you cry wolf.

Meister

At the time i was having the pacnor problem, i had a kreiger and broughton chambered by the same guy, with brand new reamers from the Dave Manson and never had any problems at all.

I KNOW MY PROBLEM WS CAUSED BY A SOFTER BARREL THAT PAC NOR HAD MANUFACTURED POORLY.

d-a

I was responding to reed, He started the thread. There's no reason to be that way. I'm not the enemy.

Reed

It wasn't a polygon barrel I was working on.

Here's a little story with customer service from Lilja.

Buddy of mine wanted a 300 Tomahawk built. He ordered the barrel himself. He neglected to tell them to turn it between centers. They attemped to drill a hole 34 inches long. It was .125 or more out of center on the muzzle end.

When I called them they said he should have ordered it turned from a larger blank between centers after the drilling. So it was our fault for not reading into in enough. Needless to say Lilja REPLACED the barrel because of our error and no questions were asked.

That is great customer service when its your fault and THEY know it.

When the company in question sent me a soft barrel they didn'd have the same quality of customer service I got with Lilja.

They gave me all sorts of excuses.

Meister

I think it was a slip on the Q.A. side of the house as the barrel was RC 23. I called all the popular barrel makers and asked what RC hardness they liked to see almost all of them responded with RC 28.

When I first called them I talked to a fella and they said they like to get them out the door at RC 28. When I checked it it was a RC 23. I'm in the military and the RC hardness tester we have is calibrated, it must be on order to use it so I know the readings were correct.

When I placed the second call and explained what RC I came up with a different guy said well we like to see RC 28 but can be RC 25 and they hold it to a RC of +/-5 points. Now it falls within the specs I gave for a RC of 23, coincidence or does it smell fishy now?

Plus or minus 5 points brought laughs from all the other barrel manufactures as they try and hit it as close as +/- 1 point and some of them even went as far as +/-.25 points as the Spencer fella said he likes to get as close as possible.

Now when I contacted them the third time through email another fella said or rc hardness tester was +/- such and such but it happened to fall within the specs they had quoted the second time. Everytime I contacted them it got close to 23 and was close to being acceptable.

I wont argue the machines used but I can say that our rc hardness tester is +/- .3 for accuracy. So my tolerance could have been 23.3 or 22.7 and I will give them that but not 5 points of differnce.

None of the barrel makers I contacted said that a barrel of a RC 33 would last long. This is the upper limit of what Pacnor considers ok.

I was also told the reamer was to sharp. I tested some 4140, 17-4, and 1018 steel with the reamer and it produced curly chips and a nice shiny finish. The Pacnor barrel produced dust chips and chatter from the beginning it touched the shoulder area.

It was a pawned off experience and we were left holding the bag.

Its easy for myself and d-a as you can see to never use this company again and heres our story for those of you who may find it interesting.

Now I know not every barrel that leaves a factory is a screamer and in perfect order but for three people to have problems suggests that the Q.A. section is failing somewhat.

Dave

How can a company like this stay in business? Pitiful. I personally only use Obermeyer in my rigs. Never had a problem with anything from him. From all the great comments I might just break tradition and try a Lilja.

Meister , how ong do you wait on an Obermeyer barrel?
I have one that I got on a gun used and its awsome , I'd love to use more but have heard that his wait is measured in years !!

I hate to hi-jack this post, so you might look at the for sale section in a little while. 3 new obermeyer barreled rifles for sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.