.243 Win. & 8 twist

spladi

While looking at different factory options on the interweb I found an interesting offer by TC, their LRR .243 Winchester. It looked good. I checked the specs out on it and discovered that the 26" barrel had a twist rate of 1T in 10". I was disappointed and confused as to why not an 8 twist in the offering. Can someone tell me what TC's thinking might be on a 10 twist and why not an 8?

Same reason most all .243s are those twists. They think people will be shooting lighter weight varmint and hunting bullets and not long range bullets. That is why the 6 Creedmoor rifles come with 7-8 twists. If you can find a 8 twist .243 they will work great with the heavier bullets but problem is finding them.

The trick I have found is to simply rebarrel with an EA Brown Accuracy barrel for $260 + $30 install (or thereabouts). 26" medium profile , in .243 it has an 8" twist. I loaded commercially for a company in MO and tuned all my ammo to inexpensive hunting rifles. Once that was done, I really did not have a use for .22-250 or other .308 derived calibers so I converted them using these barrels. They have these barrels in stock for TC Encores and Savage, I dont know how they handle other rifles, but it was a nice path to provide a new life for the Savage Axis 1's and 2's I had.

I just had a 243 Win. built with a #4 Schneider 7.5 twist barrel on a Stiller Predator action, Jewell 1.5# trigger, McMillan A-5 stock. I reload so the heavier bullets are not a problem for this project. I am anxious to see how this rig will group and preform. I already have two 243 AI in Varmint weight barrels that shoot lights out so I expect the same from these.

One of the biggest issue with the 243 Winchester is the SAAMI reamer specifications call for a rather loose throat of .246 instead of a .244 . If you are going to have a custom barrel fitted I would ask for a longer tighter throat as it does seem to improve accuracy.