243 Win Schneider Polygonal barrel

Dave King

I have a Rem 722 SA custom with a Schneider polygonal barrel. Every once in a while folks ask how it (or more specifically the polygonal rifled barrel) shoots. Here's todays re-zero results, I needed a re-zero after putting on those scope levels I got from Mid-South.

243 Win, Lapua brass, 105 Lapua bullet

First "real" group (in the center) is 4th through 6th shots after cleaning the barrel, 1st through 3rd are at the top of the target (I needed some scope adjustment after playing with the bases and scope rotation).

.314" center-to-center

Gumby-105lapua.JPG

Here the second "real" group, 243 Win lapua brass, Hornady 105 A-Max.

.264" center-to-center

Gumby-105A-Max.JPG

All-in-all I'm pleased with the barrel and the rifle, I've had this rifle for better than a year now and it's helped me kill a few deer.

A little more about the rifle. It's a Rem 722 SA with a Rem 700 bolt, Schneider polygonal rifled barrel, H-S floorplate with detachable mag(s) (a 5 round and a spare). Badger base (clip slotted), Badger rings, McMillan HTG/A1 stock, Nightforce 5.5 x 22 NXS scope and a brand new B-Square bubble level.

DWM (BTW, Thanks for posting the original targets.)

Yeah, I really like those targets. I believe you mentioned they were 200 yard models when you originally posted them but they're all I carry along right now so they've become 300 yard and 100 yard models recently.

I shoot prone from a bipod and rear sand sock (poly beads), it's my most common field position so these groups are representative of field conditions for me. It was misting badly just on the verge of real rain when I shot this groups so 9 rounds seemed like enough. The Schneider barrel is nice and "Gumby" is a very good rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.