Over size 1x fired Norma 300 WSM brass

.010 bumps it's the least and .002 bumps it the most. The #2 Redding Competition shell holder is the same as the standard shell holder #5 included with Lee WSM dies.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Disregard I think I have it figured out now after thinking on what you suggested.
If the factory shell holder doesn't work then the Redding competition shell holders will not help solve your issue. The #2 competition shell holder resizes the most which is right at factory die spec or just below. You need one that allows for more resizing like @MagnumManiac suggested.

If the factory shell holder doesn't work then the Redding competition shell holders will not help solve your issue. The #2 competition shell holder resizes the most which is right at factory die spec or just below. You need one that allows for more resizing like @MagnumManiac suggested.
That is what I thought. Or you need to do as Skip suggested. And hope it works depending on your die & chamber. Or remove material from bottom of die. But it does state on Redding site that the shell holders increase the case length. Which has me confused. lol

You could try an RCBS small base die for the 300 WM.
I had a brain fart, I was thinking 300 RUM. Since the SAAMI drawing shows .551" at the base versus .555 for the 300 WSM, slide a 300 WSM case into a 300 RUM die until it sizes the part of the case you want it to. It should have radial clearance around the shoulder due to the significantly shorter WSM case.

That is what I thought. Or you need to do as Skip suggested. And hope it works depending on your die & chamber. Or remove material from bottom of die. But it does state on Redding site that the shell holders increase the case length. Which has me confused. lol
They do increase case "life" length as your resizing minimally. If you only need to use the #10 to bump the shoulders, and they then cycle, then your case is longer "usually" than if you need to move to the #8. Usually when using these it takes a couple of firings to get your case OAL to settle down and not require trimming.

They do increase case "life" length as your resizing minimally. If you only need to use the #10 to bump the shoulders, and they then cycle, then your case is longer "usually" than if you need to move to the #8. Usually when using these it takes a couple of firings to get your case OAL to settle down and not require trimming.
I see now after rereading the Reddings post on these. Deeper is the word I was skimming over. And it just now clicked. Duh lol

To provide desirable shellholder-to-die contact during sizing, without excessively setting the case shoulder back, Redding now produces shellholders that are made in increments of .002" deeper than the industry standard. The nominal industry standard depth(dimension X) for shellholders is .125". The new CompetitionShellholder Set includes five shellholders that are deeper than this in increments of .002". Therefore, the set includes shellholders that are marked +.002, +.004, +.006, +.008 and +.010,which is the amount the shellholder will increase base to shoulder case length and thus decrease shoulder set back and case to chamber headspace.

What does that mean?
When a case expands above the web too much relative to the chamber walls the rifle "clicks" as the bolt pops through primary extraction and into the receiver. Similar feeling to if you've ever shot a slightly wet or oiled round and had to work real hard to get the bolt open after firing.

It became a huge fight on the internets with the 300 PRC design. The solution came on the chambers side with a slightly larger reamer designed by Alex Wheeler and mercifully released to the public. Once brass is made it's easier to cut a chamber slightly larger than deal with every case manufactured up to that point being 0.002" oversized in the web to start with.

TL;DR - Hornady made a goof in their maths and the rifle clicks every time you open it.

If you want to buy new brass, I'll buy the old stuff. I have a 300 WSM AR-10 that doesn't need fancy stuff.
Roger that. You get first shot if I don't see some promising results. I've got a dozen pieces sized to snug chamber fit. They need about .005" shoulder move and .001" head shrink to be perfect. My next step is to load up three and see what the cases do. Maybe I'll even get some useful load data out of them. The rifle did put two loads of last weekend's charge ladder (different Norma source) into the same hole. Velocity was a little slow though. Prayin' for some brass flow…

Last edited:
Not a problem...set your die to OVER CAMBER..screw it down farther than normal by a half turn to full turn. It's common with my 270 WSM, and 300 Weatherby Mark V vs 300 Weatherby Vanguard...after fire forming in your chamber they generally work fine to load again,and again.
Thats what I've done. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Laguna, I had a base sizing issue with my Tikka 300 WSM. Did a lot of research and reading. There are a few die options, shell holders won't fix 0.557" base.

I managed to find a Wilson size die that fits my chamber really well when following the wheeler video for die/chamber fit.

Eric Cortina just released a mandrel die that also sizes only the base for this very issue. They are under $100 and work! I bought one for me and one for my father in laws 270 WSM that was having the same problem.

Other option is the Micron die mentioned earlier. Ryan Pierce sells them and says they will size the smallest of any die out there. Bullet central also sells them but a single die is pushing $300

I looked and looked to see if I could find a Larry Willis type die or a bulge buster type die I use for my 10mm. None exist and with the slightly straighter walls you can't use 300 RUM and remove material off the bottom of the die.